May 8, 2007

Night-Night Rituals

Jeff is a high-fiver. He loves giving high-fives. For example, at sporting events you can see him high-fiving his comrades, his children and complete strangers rooting for the same team. For accomplishments, good calls, baskets, field goals, touchdowns, you name it. WOOO! High-five!!


Then high-fives were given for board games. Good drawings, right answers, beating the buzzer, beating his wife - in the board game people, winning the game, you name it. WOOO! High-five!!


He teaches his kids at a young age to high-five. When they clean their room, finish their dinner, get along, do their chores, you name it. WOOO! High-five!!


So this night-night ritual all started when Ally was 2. She always wanted to give Daddy high-fives, for everything! Especially at bedtime. And she would only do it with Daddy! They would give their hugs and kisses to each other then the high-five tradition would start. It wasn't just a regular high-five, it was a very specific routine of high-fives that Ally taught to him. It went something like this, imagine this coming from a 2 year old, "Hard five, medium five, soft five, tiny bit of five, little bit of five, littler bit of five, and a little, little, little bit of five." Saying this of course had to accompany the hand gestures as well, starting with a SMACK! of a hard high-five, and getting softer, and ending with their thumbs high-fiving, then their pinkies high-fiving. Every single night without fail after the hugs and kisses were given, the high-five routine would start. Even still to this day, 3 years later, it happens every night guaranteed at bedtime. I just love it!


Well Maddie shares a room with Ally and has caught on to this tradition of high-fives given at bedtime. She is barely 17 months old and has to have her high-fives at bedtime, too. It is the cutest thing to see her laying down in her bed, done with hugs and kisses and her tiny little hand pops up to receive the onslaught of high-fives that await her. She even does it at naptime, too. So of course I had to get a picture of this night-night ritual. Take a peek! But shhhhh she's supposed to be sleeping....


11 comments:

dandee said...

I love it! That is the sweetest night time ritual between Ally and her Daddy and I love that Maddie has caught on too! So fun!

Heather said...

That IS cute. Look at how excited she looks for her "fives".

::lindsay said...

That is really adorable, Kim. This night time ritual will be something both the girls think of fondly when they get older and think of their dad. Who knows...they may even pass it down to their own kids. How cute would that be!

Sarah said...

That could possibly be, hands down, (pun intended) the cutest thing I've ever heard. High Five!!

Shayla said...

That is too fun. Isn't it funny how family traditions like that start and then become all-important to the kids? Too cute. BTW, have I told you I like the new look? Your graphic at the top is cool.

Marilyn said...

Adorable. That is THE best night time ritual I've ever heard. We are pretty generic at our house. Prayers, hugs, kisses, tuck in, and music, of course.

Thanks for sharing! Great post.

tharker said...

This is so adorable. I love the look on Matty's face. And I can totally hear Ally's cute little raspy voice going through the high five ritual.

Kris said...

Love the cute pictures. That's so great that you captured it! I love this ritual. Isn't funny how fast these little toddlers catch on to things? They are learning more than I ever imagined. Thanks for sharing the cute idea!

S. Schuller said...

Did he ever watch the show High Five? Isn't that a show for kids? Anyways, it's cute that it has caught on with all your kids. High Five!

tharker said...

Which show was it that had "High Five! On the flip side"? Was it Seinfeld, or Friends, Will and Grace?(Back when it was reasonably clean)

Alicia Leppert said...

That is so adorable. I love the picture of her tiny little hand in the air!