May 29, 2007

Just Another Manic Monday

Where do I begin? I'll just go in order, I guess.




Memorial Day started out like every other day that feels like a Saturday. Jeff was home from work (love that!) and we had a short list of things we wanted to get done on his day off. I called Marilyn to see if Applegate Nursery was open and luckily, it was. So we packed everyone up in the pickup to go get trees for the house we haven't moved into yet. Jumping the gun a little but since we know we're moving into a house with sand for grass and tumbleweeds for lawn decorations, we thought this sale was a little too good to pass up. So on our way over to the nursery we decided to stop by Lowe's and buy a new black fridge while it was on sale for Memorial Day. The one that we were happy with wasn't on sale but was at an affordable regular price so we put that purchase aside for later and instead bought a brand new, broken sink for the preschool in the garage! I know what you're thinking, why would we buy a broken sink? The piece that was broken is easily fixable and we saved 25% for purchasing it. So we got this utility sink with vanity for $170 instead of $228. Not bad, huh? Our thrifty purchases don't stop there. It only gets better.





We head out to Applegate Nursery to take advantage of the fabulous sale going on right now. 75% off everything is worth it to us, even if we're not moved into our new house yet. I have to admit, I was a little weary of the choices that would be left over after hearing about this sale last week. I didn't know what would be left. So we get there and noticed lots and lots of things still available. We started grabbing some trees we wanted and had to get another cart, grabbed some bushes we wanted, got another cart, more trees, more carts, more bushes, grabbed the girl to add up our total and I took the paper into Brandon while Jeff was loading the pickup with our fantastic foliage. I couldn't wait to see how much money we saved. As he totaled everything up he said, "This is what it would have been (YIKES)... this is how much you saved(HOLY COW!)... and this is your total." $130. That's it? Really? I was so excited! Let me go tell Jeff! I went out to tell Jeff what it all came to and he had the same exact reaction that I did. He couldn't believe that's all it came to. So he said, "Let me finish loading this up and let's grab some more!" So we did. Here's what we got:


  • 3 apple trees

  • 2 Norway Maples


  • 2 Japanese Maples


  • Another kind of maple


  • 4 tall skinny arborvitae like shrubs


  • 2 ornamental pine trees


  • 12 boxwoods


  • 4 fancy decorative shrubs


  • 3 shaggy bushes


  • 4 variegated shrubs



Okay, so I don't know what they're all called, but this is what I do know. We saved over $600!!! Can you even believe it?!?! We only spent $208 and have everything we need to landscape a 1/2 acre of land!! We were so thrilled about this and I can hardly wait to start planting. I just love a good sale! Thanks Marilyn and Brandon!!!



So the fun doesn't end there. We get home and Jeff decided to go on a bike ride. That leaves me with all of the kids. Since Maddie took her nap in the car, I figured I'd head over to Kennewick to run some more errands. We went to Barnes and Noble, and then over to Michaels. The kids were great, thank goodness, and we thought we'd hit Walmart on our way home. We picked up everything we needed and grabbed a pretty little geranium for Grandma Myers' grave. We get home and eat dinner, then all load up in the car again for a trip out to the cemetary for FHE. While loading up the kids in the car, I hollar over to Brady who is on his bike, to come on and get in - it's time to go. He yells back "One more second!" Famous last words. What happened next is surely every mother's worse nightmare come true. Well atleast in the top 10.




I hear the most horrible scream, death yell, bone-chilling shriek, coming from Brady's mouth - who I can't see because he's lying on his back in the middle of the street. As I'm looking up from Maddie's buckles I see an SUV slamming on their brakes. My heart stopped beating. I run over to Brady who is behind our parked car, in the street, screaming bloody murder, bike down, and think HOLY CRAP!!! He just got hit by a CAR!!!!! He's not wearing a HELMET!!!! Oh my holy cow!!! So while I'm down in the street with Brady, Jeff is above us and said he saw Brady hit our car and fall down. Wait, he hit our car? He didn't get hit by that car? Oh, thank you Heavenly Father. So I ask Brady what was hurting and he was screaming his head was. Like the freaking idiot that I am, I scooped him up and moved him out of the street and into the grass on our lawn. I wanted him out of the street. Don't you know you're NEVER SUPPOSED TO MOVE THEM!! Hello!!! Neck injury? Spine injury? PARALYZE him why don't you!!! So after he was on the grass, I asked him again to tell me where it hurt. He said his head and his shoulder. That was it. I felt his head and the goose-egg literally fit in the palm of my hand. His shoulder had a pretty long case of road rash. We( me, Jeff, neighbor, and SUV man) decided it would be best to take him into the hospital to get a CT scan on his head. It could've been fractured, or worse, a subdural hematoma could have been forming between his skull and his brain. Not good. So we drop off Ally and Cameron at Stacia's house and head off to the hospital with Brady and Maddie. I was holding Brady and the ice pack on my lap in the back seat and wanted to know exactly how it happened. He said that he and Junior, one of our neighbor kids, were having a bike race and decided to race "no hands" down our street. So Brady was racing with no hands, no helmet, in flip-flops, down the street when he heard a car coming behind him (the SUV). Instead of stopping, or putting his hands back on the handlebars, he decided to maneuver his way out of the middle of the street by leaning a little and got too close to Jeff's car. His right handlebar hit the back left corner of the car and sent his body flying off the bike, he flipped and landed on his head on the left side first then again on the back of his head. He has road rash on his left shoulder, left knee, a couple of toes, his stomach and right shin where the pedal got him. Luckily the CT scan came back negative and he just got banged up pretty bad. He's really sore today and his head is pretty tender with two goose-eggs on it. After knowing he was going to be okay, he got the lecture about wearing a helmet - from now on or else he's grounded. Same goes for Cameron and Ally. He is so lucky that nothing more serious came of this accident and he's still in one piece.



So this is what we purchased online this morning:


I figured he's probably outgrown the spiderman helmet he's had since he was 4 and maybe getting him a new "cool" one, he'd be more likely to want to wear one. This one is designed by Tony Hawk - the famous skateboarder, and Brady loves it. He can't wait to get it in the mail. He said he would wear it biking, roller-blading, and skateboarding. I think I believe him. I know the kiwi sized goose-egg on the side of his head will be all the reminder he'll need for a little while anyway. It's a good thing we saved so much money from our thrifty purchases earlier in the day because that's going to be one hefty ER bill.


So we never made it to the cemetary but that's okay. We can always go tonight.


On a lighter note, Cameron pulled his own tooth out this morning. It was so funny the way it happened. He said, "Mommy this tooth is really annoying me the way it's all bent in my mouth." I said, "Let me see. Which tooth is bent?" He showed me with his tongue while pushing on it. "Cameron, that's ready to come out!" So he gets dressed, comes into the bathroom so I can comb his hair, and I hand him some tissue to grab his tooth with. I said, "Just give it a little twist." He said, "Will it hurt?" "Nope." "Okay." So he took the tissue, grabbed his tooth and said, "Got it." And he did!! He was so calm about it! He didn't even twist it, it just popped right out! It was so funny what little effort it took to get it out all by himself. From past experiences, my kids usually cry in hysterics if they know I'm going to pull their tooth out, so the calm manner in which this happened this morning was so shocking to me!! I loved it!
Well, I hope I was the only one with such an eventful Memorial Day. Gotta love these adventures!


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

My lower jaw is on the floor! What an eventful day! I'm so glad everything is ok!

Heather said...

Yeah. That was quite the day. Glad it all turned out ok, btw where were you yesterday morning- besides not at the river.

Sarah said...

That is a really cool bike helmet! Is Brady into skate boarding a lot? My little brother who's graduating this weekend lobbied to get a skate park built in their hometown (Irrigon,Or) and the mayor got behind it too. Pretty soon they had grants coming in and they got a huge donation from the Tony Hawk foundation. One of only a few they give out every year. They just finished it a month or so ago and it is pretty fun for all of the local kids to skate and ride their bikes on. So if you're every passing through Irrigon......

meohmyers said...

Heather - Sorry to leave you hanging but didn't you just read my post? This happened yesterday! I promise I'll be there on Friday! Promise!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear and see that Brady got hurt on his bike. He looks like he got hurt BAD-REALLY BAD. That bruise looks bad, too. His new helmet looks cool!!!!!

Shayla said...

Wow, Kim, what a crazy day! I'm glad to hear Brady is okay. We have yet to make an ER visit for injuries in our family...is it cause I have two weeny girls? Knock on wood...I don't envy those visits at all. Awesome deal on your trees and plants, I LOVE getting a bargain.

Jessica said...

Ok...You should have started that bike story with "Brady is alright, bruised but alright"!! My heart almost stopped beating when I was reading this, it is way up there on my worst fears list!! I'm glad that it turned out ok!! Hope he gets feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Ok . My mom is right . I was in the hospital . And I did not like it !!!!! Did you see the giant scratch on my shoulder ?!?!!! And you know what they called it ??? A motor vehicle accident - bicyclist, closed head injury without loss of consciousness, multiple superficial abrasions to the scalp, right knee, and left shoulder. The instructions on my discharge papers said "helmets are very important. They protect brains which are more important." And thats why I didn't go to school,and I like school I learned my lesson !!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I bet that accident that Brady got was a lot worse than spraining your toe. Once I sprained my toe. I already knew that it hurt more than spraining your toe. That's why my mom said if she catches you not wearing a helmet you can be grounded from your bike for a week. That's why I will remember it all the time. Cause I don't want my head to crack like an egg on the concrete. My mom told me that it's just like when she cracks eggs to make scrambled eggs. She cracks it on the bowl and dumps the brain out. Our heads are like the eggs. They can get cracked if we don't wear our helmets. That's why Brady went to the hospital to see if his head got cracked.

Kris said...

This was quite the day. I love your song that you have on here. Glad to hear that everyone is OK. Sounds like you got some good deals on all of your purchases. Gotta love that! Hopefully the rest of your week will be a little more relaxing!

hatch said...

Kim you experienced one of my worst nightmares. When I first read about you hearing his screams my heart stopped and then I thought well he has to be okay or she would not have started this post with all of her bargains. I am glad he was not hurt to bad. It seems to me that when ever I save alot of money on things something else expensive comes out of nowhere. Great song choice for this post.

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

I LOVE Brady and Cameron's posts! My heart was in my mouth too! Glad your ok, Brady, and if you need any more motivation to wear your helmet, trust me, uncle Tim has a BIG SCARY lecture that little boys get when they don't wear helmets. I'm jealous of the tree sale!

susie said...

Wow, Kim! You certainly have all the adventures...and I thought mine was going to be a good one, but I think you win. I would much rather be the one in the hospital instead of my child. I hope he feels better and I'm SO glad it wasn't worse.

I'll definitely be sharing this story with my boys to encourage helmet use!

Marilyn said...

Kim, so glad that you got great deals and so sorry to hear about Brady's accident. That is scary! There is nothing I hate worse than when my kids are hurt or sick.

Alicia Leppert said...

Okay, firstly, that wasn't really Brady and Cameron commenting, was it? "Multiple Superficial Abrasions?" Is that really in Brady's vocabulary and spelled correctly none-the-less?!

What a crazy Memorial Day. Ours wasn't as eventful. Oh, and isn't "Fantastic Foliage" a stamp set? :)

meohmyers said...

Alicia - yes it was really Brady and Cameron commenting! Brady typed his own comment while copying the discharge papers from the hospital and Cameron was dictating to me what to type. What, don't you know my kids are geniuses? :)

I thought the term "fantastic foliage" rolled a little too nicely off my tongue! I had to have heard that somewhere! A stamp set, that's too funny!