First, I need to thank everyone for the awesome advice you gave on considering a puppy for Jeff's birthday. We're seriously thinking about getting a dog but I decided I need Jeff's input, too. So I blew the surprise and asked him what he would think about it. We're going to look into what would be the best breed for our family, yard, house, etc. then get one. So it may not be for his birthday in 2 weeks, but maybe soon.
So Cameron FINALLY lost his 2nd tooth this weekend. It was literally hanging there and he was still saying it wasn't ready to come out yet. He couldn't even talk right because the tooth was in his way, let alone eat anything. So when he came in from playing on Saturday I saw the tooth all crooked in his mouth and told him to come with me to the bathroom.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to look at your tooth!"
"You promise you'll just look at it?"
"No, I can't promise that."
"Don't pull it okay?"
"Cameron, it's hanging out of your mouth! One little twist and it's out! It won't even hurt, I promise!"
"NO!!!! I don't want to lose it! It's not ready to come out yet!"
We are doing this back and forth for like 5 minutes when I grab a kleenex and force my fingers into his mouth. He is FREAKING OUT and crying and moving and falling to the floor and burying his head on the tile saying NO!!!!!!! So I give up. The tooth is going to eventually fall out. So I promise him I won't touch it again and he gets off the floor. When I look at him, the darn tooth is still there but hanging by a thread! The perfectionist in me can't stand it and that tooth is driving me crazy!!! So I told him he has 1 chance to get that tooth out before I pull it myself. Of course he reminds me that I promised him I wouldn't touch it again but even he notices that the tooth is in his way while he's trying to talk. So he says
"Okay, give me one chance. Where's the kleenex?"
"Just pinch your tooth with the kleenex and give it a little twist."
"Like this?"
"YES!!! You did it!!"
"I di i! I pu my o too!! I di i!!" He runs outside. "Bray! Loo! I pu my too! Da! I di i!" Blood is almost dripping down his chin but he is so excited that he pulled his own tooth!!
So we get him cleaned up, and I have some sort of sick relief that the dangling tooth is finally out and he runs upstairs and puts it under his pillow. He is so excited that the tooth fairy is coming to our house that night and can't wait to go to bed. When bedtime finally rolls around, the tooth fairy waited till he was definitely asleep and sneaks in, gently lifts the pillow, slowly reaches for the tiny tooth, and leaves $2 in its place.
Sunday morning Cameron runs into our room yelling "Mom! Dad! The tooth fairy came last night! I saw her!" Oh no! Maybe he wasn't asleep yet! My cover is blown! "Yeah! She's about this tall ..." he's holding his hands about 2 feet apart from each other "she's mostly white with some blue and she's really quiet!"
"Really?"
"Yeah!! I was pretending I was asleep so she wouldn't leave."
"Wow, Cameron! I think you're the only one who has ever really seen her! Can she fly?"
"She wasn't flying when I saw her in my room but maybe she flies outside."
"Oh! That's so cool!"
He was on cloud nine the rest of the day yesterday, telling and showing everyone about how he pulled out his own tooth and saw the tooth fairy. I love that my kids still believe. That's what makes being a kid so much fun!
2 comments:
I'm the same way about teeth...once it gets to that really wiggly stage I keep bugging and bugging them until it's out! I hadn't thought of the 'You pull it out" idea...maybe I'll try that next time!
losing a tooth can be so tramatic for kids. conner can not even comprehend that his teeth might one day get lose and fall out. we need to play up the tooth fairy more
Post a Comment