October 9, 2006
I'm glad it was good for something!
We attempted to grow our very first garden this summer. We decided to try the square foot gardening method. We made our own boxes, bought our own soil comprised of peat moss, compost and vermiculite, used twine and nails to make the graphs, planted our seeds and watched the magic unfold right before our eyes. Much to our delight, we were successful in growing lots of things like zucchini, lettuce, zucchini, squash, zucchini, cucumber, squash, tomatoes, zucchini, green peppers, squash, hot peppers, zucchini, cucumber, squash, cucumber, cantaloupe, zucchini, squash, and cucumber. Although we planted broccoli, green beans, peas and carrots, we just never grew enough for an entire meal. I have to say, though, our huge disappointment was the corn. We planted 16 seeds and the stalks grew nice and tall - over 6 feet, but only produced about 4 ears total. So I pulled one, shucked it, and noticed a nice unrecognizable bug had decided to make it's home there, planted a nest, and that was it for the corn. But now... the stalks make awesome fall decorations on my front porch!! Maybe I'll plant corn every year just for fall decor!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Corn is tricky...to much spraying to be worth it (for me anyway). I'll run down and pay the 25 cents at cool slice for an ear.
We did the exact same thing last summer. Made our own square foot garden... I could have written that post right down to the bugs in my measly four ears of corn...too bad I didn't think of using the corn stalks as decoration...there's always next year, right?
Post a Comment