April 4, 2007

Spring Break Reunions

This has been the craziest Spring Break for me! First of all, we decided to surprise my mom in Utah last Saturday. She had no idea we were coming. We just showed up on her doorstep, me and the kids. It was so fun to surprise her.

We caravaned down here with Nicole, her kids, her sister and her sister's kids. So we were able to stop at all the same rest stops at the same time and for lunch so we didn't have to travel alone. I have to admit, we were stopping to go to the bathroom more because I had to go, not the kids. Sorry about that Nicole! Darn that Dr. Pepper! Anyway, the last rest stop we went to was 42 miles outside of Brigham City. We had already passed one rest stop and a gas station and my eyes were watering, I had to go so bad. So we stop, and all 9 kids are filtering out of both vehicles, and I am getting Maddie out of her car seat and start walking to the bathroom. I hear someone yell "KIM!" I turn around and thought it was Nicole who was getting Zoe out of her car. But she was inside her car and not looking in my direction so I keep walking to the bathroom. I hear "KIM! KIM!" Then someone comes out of the passenger side of the car I parked right beside. When I saw who it was I started freaking out!! It was my old roommate from my sophomore year at Rick's College!! Becky Taft!! We hadn't seen each other in 13 years!! So I'm yelling "OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH!!" and was running towards her back in the direction of my car. Nicole told me later she was afraid that someone was hurt in my car or that it was a bad ohmigosh instead of an excited ohmigosh. So I'm catching up on my old roommate, meet her husband and her 3 kids and totally forget that I had to pee so bad. I proceeded to wet my pants in the parking lot. APRIL FOOL'S! Just kidding, I didn't wet my pants. But it was so great to see her again. She lives in Everett! Not too far away from Tri-Cities. The timing of us running in to each other at that rest stop was seriously crazy!

So we surprise my mom and go surprise my sister at work who also had no idea we were in town for our Spring Break. I got it all on video, it was so fun. We've had a great couple of days here and have to leave on Friday. It's going by so fast.

Well, I stopped by my mom's work this morning to show off Maddie to her co-workers and also to meet the ladies in my mom's WW group that she started. Apparently I'm their inspiration after losing 40 pounds myself. So I felt like a celebrity meeting them! We were in the hallway waiting for one of the other counselors when a teacher walked by. I asked my mom who that was. She said "Leslie Garaboti." I took off running after her yelling "LESLIE! LESLIE!" I knew her as Leslie Harris. She turned around and looked confused at first and I said "You don't remember me do you?" Then she realized who I was and said, "KIM POWELL!!" She was my old roommate from my freshman year at Rick's College! Is that not the craziest thing ever? My mom works with her! She's a Language Arts teacher at the middle school in Brigham City! So this has been the craziest week for me being able to see people from 13-14 years ago! I have to admit I'm glad I've lost all this weight since they said I haven't changed a bit. It's been a great little vacation.

I couldn't wait to post this. I'll have more to post when I get back. Hope everyone is having a great Spring Break! This is one I'll never forget!

7 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like fun. You are so dedicated to post while on a break!

::lindsay said...

How fun, Kim! I can't believe you've ran into all these people from college.

Marilyn said...

Kim, this sounds like such a fun trip. It is always exciting to run into long lost friends.

Alicia Leppert said...

How awesome. I didn't know you were surprising your mom, that's so fun! Glad you're having such a great time, can't wait til you get back.

Chris said...

Too bad you didn't run into Maren Benedict, Courtney Shelstad, Lynelle Barnes, or any of your other cheerleader friends. Don't ask me how I remember their names. Do you remember the time you and Mindy had the slumber party with your cheer squad, and there was a peeping tom outside? That was scary.

meohmyers said...

Chris, how do you remember that? How old were you, like 13? That was so long ago! That was scary. Did you know that Maren lives up here in Kennewick? I never see her though.

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Wow, that's really cool! How is everyone down there? We never hear anything! I did start up a kid blog just for you so hopefully you can find it. It's "powellboys" . I also wanted to make sure you knew John Mayer was coming to the Gorge. It would be fun to see you if you came for it. keep in touch.