March 30, 2007

Which Celebrities Have You Met?


Yes, I've met Gwen Stefani. Although it was brief, I can say I've met her. My roommate at Rick's College and BYU was a great friend of mine. She was from Riverside, CA and was very "hip". I loved her taste in music and was introduced to a lot of bands I had never heard of. Being from Orange County, she had heard of this band No Doubt and her really good friend at school actually knew Gwen Stefani. This was in 1994 when the band was still performing at small venues. So my roommate's friend, Freddie, talked Gwen into coming to Provo for a concert at our favorite dance club, The Edge. Do you remember when ska music was in? Maybe it was just a Provo thing. Anyway, it was great dance music and that was her style back then. She came, performed, was awesome, and we met her after the show. I remember she was very sweet, adorable, and was telling Freddie thanks for inviting her. If I knew how big she would eventually be, I should have gotten my picture taken with her or something. All I have now is the memory. I know I made an impression on her, too. We're tight, me and Gwen. She's got to remember me. Maybe I can call her up and ask her to come and perform here!
Have you ever met a celebrity?

11 comments:

tharker said...

I've never met a celebrity, but Donny Osmond told my father in law that he was a "very good whisteler" in the airport a few months ago. And he was right. Mike is the best whisteler I know.

Alicia Leppert said...

I have never met an actual celebrity, and it kills me. In eighth grade this kid from the wannabe Saved by the Bell show called California Dreams (anybody know it?) came to Columbia Centers and I got his autograph, but I'd never seen the show at the time. And Bill and I met Voice Male (the LDS a capella group) at a Denny's type diner in Utah when we were stuck there with Macy's. It was so crazy though, because Bill actually is a huge fan, had all their CD's. We got pictures with them, they sang for us, right in the middle of the restaurant. It was awesome. I can't believe you met Gwen! That is awesome!!

Alicia Leppert said...

okay, why do I keep adding s's to the ends of words that don't need them? Columbia Centers? Macy's? I'm retardeds.

Chris said...

Holy shnikeys Kim! You never told me you met Gwen Stefani. Ask my Kim how infatuated I am with her. She was smokin' hot on American Idol during the coaching sessions. I didn't really like her outfit during the performance. By the way, I hate Sanjaya too. What a dork.

Chris said...

As for famous people I've met...I went to a Seattle Supersonics luncheon for season ticket holders. (Bryan Smith's stepdad's coworker had them. We got the luncheon tickets.) I was a star-struck 7th grader. I got autographs from Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Derrick McKey, and all the other Sonics at that time. Nothing too amazing, but it was cool for me.

Heather said...

I can't think of any celebrities I have met.

However, tons of celebrities would frequent my place of employment in Solvang, Ca- and of course my shift would always start a 1/2 hour later. So I got to hear the great stories, but never got to meet anyone famous.

meohmyers said...

I remember that luncheon, Chris. I never told you about Gwen Stefani? Katy is the roommate I was talking about. Seeing her on American Idol was what reminded me about meeting her. She is just as cute and sweet in person as she was as a celebrity coach on that show. I love her!

Anonymous said...

I helped Marie Osmond when I worked at a Beauty Supply store in Provo, she was very nice to me. I also met Steve Young in the Provo Hogi Yogi, I got his autograph for Jeff and one for my Dad, he's a big 49ers fan. I also met the whole Weezer band. I was dating the brother of the girls that ran the Weezer fan club. We went to a concert and had ALL ACCESS passes. We got to go on the tour bus after the concert and hang out with them. It was like a scene from a movie getting on the bus; there was a crowd around us, all pushing and trying to give us stuff to sign. They were begging me to take stuff. I didn't want to seem like a geek bringing in stuff from strangers for them to sign. I had them sign my shirt on the back, and I still have that shirt.

Marilyn said...

Have I met a celebrity? I have met the one and only MICHAEL BUBLE! Unfortunately, instead of taking a picture with him, I took a picture of him and my daughter Madeline. He was so kind and generous and he gave Madeline a hockey stick and two t-shirts, and a teddy bear. He was so sweet. I will have to post about this sometime in the near future.

Marilyn said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how jealous I am that you met Gwen. I love No Doubt so much, have every album, and really wish she would get back with her band. She is adorable isn't she?

Anonymous said...

I am just impressed that you were into the Ska scene. We use the go to Utah from Rexburg all the time to see the shows. I haven't thought about thought them for a long time but they were alot of fun.