My competitiveness has gotten the better of me.
My kids have all been in sports for years now. They've been in the types of sports where the scores were not kept track of.
Until now.
Brady is on a Minor Little League baseball team this season. First of all, they had try-outs, were DRAFTED to their teams, and are on kid-pitch teams where scores, pitches, everything is being kept track of. That's great! But this is where my competitiveness gets the better of me.
Brady getting a piece of the ball, was eventually walked to 1st base.
Brady had his first game on Wednesday. I'm sorry to admit this, but, it was miserable. I was going a little crazy watching it all. The team he was playing against seriously had the skill of the next Minor League World Series winners. They had great form, skill, coaches, knowledge of the game, hitters, pitchers, catcher, everything! They were SO GOOD!!!
Then there was Brady's team. Let's just say they have some room for improvement. Ever seen the movie, "The Bad News Bears"? Yeah. Kinda like that. Don't get me wrong. There are some good players on Brady's team, but to see them play another team that was awesome made me realize we've got a really long season ahead of us.
Luckily though, our misery was short-lived since the rules only allow a 10-run win. Needless to say the score on Wednesday was 10-0. Poor guys. They really were trying. But this is good for them to see what type of team they can become if they put forth their best effort.
This will be good for me, too. I hate to admit, I think I may fit the category as one of those victory-obsessed Little League moms who value winning above sportsmanship and enjoyment. Although I can't promise a complete competitive turn around in a day, I do promise to watch the game and not get so upset at every error on our team's part. They are just a great group of kids just learning to play the game the real way. Oh, it's so hard to watch though! Is there a support group for moms like me out there?! HELP!
my kids love this song right now! had to put in on here!
13 comments:
We still haven't hit the age of keeping score, however Luke ALWAYS knows what it is, I always have to tell him NOT to tell Shayla what the score was or if they won or lost!!
I'm right there with ya Kim. I can't help it. It's so much harder being the fan in the stands than the athlete playing I think. All I know is that Kendle's coaches better have a high tolerance for my yelling as she gets older, because it's second nature. Hang in there with Brady's team. Minor's is the year where they really start to break out and catch on. I've seen lots of teams improve so much by the end of the season. Personally I don't like the whole try outs and drafting thing, because the coach has to pick his kid and the assistant coaches kid basically before anyone else and you'll notice that a lot of the kids end up on the same teams year after year.
We will have to have a game night, because I love to play board games. So does Lisa. But I don't lose board games. Ever. OK, maybe once a year, but I have a pretty good record for them. I coached girls fastpitch softball for 5 years, and it is funny how easy it is to get lost in the game.
~The Donald
I haven't gotten there yet with my own kids, but I can see it coming! Kenny coached High School soccer for 8 years and I felt like all the boys on his teams were mine...it was so hard! I can't even imagine when it is my own kids.
My advice, just be cautious of one thing... my hubby's parents videotaped every game he played growing up. His mom is VERY competative when it comes to her kids(and very LOUD). (she is one that would actually run out on the field, yell at the refs and even when she was being very sportsmanlike she yelled so loud he could hear her with a football helmet on!) Let me tell you, I was embarrassed for her & Kenny when we watched any of the videos. So now I just imagine myself being videotaped for future generations to see and it helps me to keep my cool!
Yes Kim you were a LITTLE stressed at their first game.;) You did a great job entertaining me though - thanks! I really hope the team makes some improvement or you're right - it will be a really long season! Let me know what I can do to help you at future games (i.e., sit on your lap, hold your hands, cover your eyes at appropriate moments, etc.). :) We'll go through it together, k?
By the way...how did you lose 40 lbs.? Any tips?? Thanks!
Yeah, being the mom is so much worse than the kid playing! I hope the team gets better and it's a fun season! Good luck to Brady and Davis's team!
Wanting to succeed is a good thing Kim. I'm a mess at anything that is a competition, I cannot watch the olympics or anything where their are winners and losers. Tell Brady good luck and keep playing.
This post was funny. I can just picture you sitting in the stands, chewing your fingernails to the nubs with nervousness for Brady. It's great that you are so supportive of their sports.
Oh, so you're THAT mom. How funny. I've never witnessed this side of you personally but I can visualize it by picturing Brady at his competitive best. Now we know where he gets it!
I know! You guys are all right! Thanks for the comments!
Jodi - I used Weight Watchers to lose my weight. Loved it! I'll gladly share what I know to anyone willing to try it. It works!!
I feel your pain! Just scream and yell and let it all out! Little league may be teaching kids how to play ball, but it is also teaching parents to get a grip. Good luck this season, Mom. (I have only yelled a few times, always regretfully. I am getting better.)
Post a Comment