Who knew baseball could be such a grueling sport?
Brady was jinxed during his very first game and has been hit by the ball every single game since then! Here he is just one second after getting his hand nailed by a pitch which ripped off his pinky fingernail. Yeah, ouch! Blood, ice, and lots of tears later, he had to sit out the rest of this game.

And here's the fingernail. Rest in peace.

He has also been nailed in the thigh, which left a beautiful bruise in every color of the rainbow. I wasn't at the game for this hit but his coach informed me that Brady apparently "dropped like an elk!" Down. Crying. Major charlie horse. Ouch!
Another hit was delivered to his nether regions. Thank goodness for that athletic protector! And thank goodness he was actually wearing it! It startled him but didn't hurt. Whew!
And finally, another ball hit him right in the gut. I know what you're thinking. Why doesn't he just get out of the way? I asked him the same exact thing! But he says the ball comes at him so fast, pitched by these 9, 10, and 11 year old kids and he is watching the ball trying to swing at the strikes, not swing at the balls, and dodge the wild ones. He says it's hard to do! I believe him! Especially seeing other kids getting hit by some pitchers. He is so afraid to go to bat knowing he'll get hit sometime during the game. Poor guy.
His good buddy on his team recently had a horrible accident on Saturday before the game started. You can read about it here, and see the pictures here. He's doing a ton better as you can see here, but he'll probably not play for another month or so. Scary stuff!
So needless to say, this season for baseball has been a huge shock to us. We're not sure if we'll sign up again next year. Brady has improved a lot since the season started but he hates going to bat. Not good. He's got another game tonight and is actually the starting pitcher. Wish us luck for a non-contact game!
20 comments:
Tell him to hang in there, as they get older the pitchers get faster but more accurate. I remember getting hit by the pitching machine straight in the face in high school and seeing actual stars. It made me kind of jumpy for a while, but it's one of those facing your fears things. I love hearing your sports stories!
Colton got it in the face with the ball at his first t-ball practice! Baseball is a tough sport!
I got hit in the boob with a line drive playing church softball in middle school. I thought I was going to be lopsided my whole life. It hurt so bad.
Seriously, this post makes me want to pull Payson out of t-ball right now. That bloody fingernail! I'm going to have nightmares tonight.
Hello!
I came across to this site a few days ago and started really enjoy reading your blog especially this baseball part.
I must say I'm sorry what happened to Brady, the nail thing is crazy! Just tell him to hang on there and he will be okay.
I grew up playing baseball, played for like 9 years. Right now I'm 34 but I remember getting hurt by pitchers several times.
Funny story, I got hit in left elbow the first time up and it was hurting badly but I insisted on playing so I walked to the first base and the game goes on. On my next bat up.. BOOM I got hit.. AGAIN right in left elbow and it was from a different pitcher! Two hits in exact same spot in the same game, oh it was painful .. so horrible! So I was rushed to the hospital and it turned out to be some cracks. Ugh!!
Sarah is right, the older they get the more accurate it will be so less getting hit. I got hit a lot when playing young but I went into high school and hasn't been hit once that I remember of.
Hope he's okay, though!
-SG
Oh Wow, he must be a tough kid to keep with it. Good for him. It's fantastic when you find something you enjoy and do your best at it.
That whole week end was a bang of a time. Tough boys around here.
Holy cow! That is one tough kid you have if he's still willing to get up there and play!
OUCH!! It's hard for mom's to watch their babies get hurt so bad isn't it?
I got nailed in the FACE a week before prom my Junior year. You could see the seams of the ball inbedded on my cheeck bone right under my eye. FUN!!
Ouch poor Brady. I hope the rest of the season turns out better then the first part.
I am really glad right now that I have girls...girly girls. I don't think they will lose any fingernails doing ballet.
Happy healing to your sweet boy.
Wow! Tough guy! I hope things get better and he heals!
I forgot to mention the pitch Brady took to the face while practicing here at home with Cameron. He currently has a black eye that's on the mend.
Yesterday's game: atleast he didn't get hit but he flinched - completely ducked- at every pitch and struck out. He's terrified of getting hit now. Poor guy. I'm not sure what to do. He's becoming quite the pitcher though!
I'm not at all surprised he's taken to pitching - He's got quite a bit of incentive to be the one throwing the ball!
I can't believe how much he's gotten hit. That's crazy. And his teammates injuries look awful! Glad you were there to help out!
yikes! Those are some wild pitches! I can't blame him for being gun shy. Especially after seeing how his friend turned out. Did the kid have to take the WASL like that? And that picture of the bloody fingernail, GNARLY!!!! Your photo sense of humor is crazy!
Mariah is doing girl's fastpitch, she hasn't had nearly the horrible experiences as your son, but let's just say games are very LONG when a pitcher cant pitch. Sorry to hear about all the injuries!
I would duck, flinch and run!
Brady definately has been a baseball magnet! Poor guy! That's awesome that he's doing so good pitching. I'm excited to watch him! I'm not sure when Davis will be ready to return. Maybe it won't be too long since his accident didn't happen during a game. I'm kind of nervous about him pitching though. Yikes! And Davis took a makeup WASL test the day he went back to school (Thursday). Nothing like returning to school to take a test.
Dude!!! Poor kid. Easton has only been hit once at bat. Unfortunately that hit sent him to the ER, with a broken finger that wiped out his nailbed. Nasty stuff when you're dealing with fingernails and junk. GAG.
Next girls night we will have to go to Shari's or something...so we don't get kicked out.
Ouch and Gross!
Davis thinks he's ready to play in Wednesday's game. He has a check-up tomorrow, so we'll see what the doctor says. So, him and Brady may be able to face their fears together. :)
Post a Comment