April 15, 2008

Urine a Heap of Trouble, Missy!

I had my follow-up appointment in Spokane today regarding my famous kidneystones. I know this information won't apply to any of you who don't have the tendency like I do in creating stones, but it's fascinating information none the less. Here's what I found out:

My stones are high in oxalates. This means I have too much oxalate in my diet and in order to quit making stones, I need to cut high-oxalate foods out of my diet. Sounds easy, right? Take a look at this list of high-oxalate foods and tell me how easy this will be for me!

Foods to be eaten one serving at a time only ONCE A YEAR: (listed in order with highest oxalate content first)
beets, purslane, rhubarb, spinach, chard, endive, DRY COCOA, dandelion greens, okra, sweet potatoes, kale, peanuts, turnip greens, and DARK CHOCOLATE!!

Yes, I know what you're thinking. "Boy, I don't know how she'll stay off those dandelion greens or that purslane! Good luck to her!" Seriously. 1 oz. of dark chocolate once a year. boo hoo.

Foods to be eaten one serving at a time only ONCE A WEEK OR LESS: (he mentioned "only if you absolutely need these foods!")
parsnips, collard greens, pecans, tea, wheat germ, gooseberries, POTATOES!!, CARROTS, APPLES, brussel sprouts, STRAWBERRIES, CELERY, MILK CHOCOLATE, RASPBERRIES, ORANGES, GREEN BEANS, chives, leeks, BLACKBERRIES, GRAPES, BLUEBERRIES, currants, apricots, BROCCOLI, and cranberry juice.

I know. Poor me. The foods in capitals are some of my favorites. No wonder I have kidneystones, I eat those ALL THE TIME!!!

Foods to omit from recipes:
beans of all kinds, beets, blackberries, black pepper, blueberries, celery, chard, citrus peel, collards, dandelion greens, dried figs, eggplant, escarole, green peppers, grits, hominy, kale, leeks, mustard greens, okra, parsley, parsnips, rutabaga, sardines, sesame seeds, spelt, spinach, summer squash - yellow, sweet potatoes, turnip greens, watercress, wheat bran, wheat germ, whole wheat products, and yams.

Obviously some of these foods I have never heard of and will easily avoid. But anyone who knows me knows how hard it will be for me to avoid potatoes - love them so much! (McDonald's french fries!!), all that wonderful fruit, and some of my favorite vegetables. I'm glad I didn't invest in that wheat grinder in Relief Society! I can't have wheat!

I'm supposed to stick to this "No high-oxalate foods diet" for 4 months. At the end of the 4 months I'll go through all the tests again to determine if this diet was effective in lowering the amount of oxalate in my system. If it is effective, and the current stones haven't gotten any larger (remember I currently have 3 - 3mm stones in my left kidney) then I'll probably have to stick to this for life if I don't want to have kidneystones ever again. If it isn't effective, then he'll put me on medication that will dissolve any stone in my kidneys before they have any chance of forming. Is that permission to cheat or what?! Just put me on the medication and let me eat my potatoes! But the competitor in me wants to give this an honest try and see if it will work. I know I have the will-power to do this, I just don't know if I can stay off high-oxalate foods for life! Wish me luck, people!!

24 comments:

Alicia Leppert said...

So, uh, no more peanut butter M&M's, huh? I am so sorry!! I was the exact same way last summer with the no wheat. I got excited (well, maybe excited is too strong a word) about trying it, sticking to it, seeing if it worked, but the thought of doing it for life?! That sucked.

So I guess I won't be bringing you the citrus peel chard salad I made you.

meohmyers said...

HA! You make me laugh out loud! So funny.

Kris said...

Kim, this is like having our own Dr. here on the blog. I've never had Kidney Stones before, and I hope I never have to. But man, the info. that you got from the Dr. sounds like it was really helpful and informational. It will be tough, but I know you can do it! Remember how much weight you lost??? You are awesome. If you want some wheat free recipes, I've got a plenty!

tharker said...

I just don't know how you're going to stay off of spelt and sardines. That would be a rough one!

Seriously though, this is one major list. So what fruit are you allowed to eat? It will be interesting at the end of these 4 months to see what the difference is in your stones.

So...you really don't want me to make that hominy hash for ya?

::lindsay said...

Oh, Kim! I'm sorry, that is rough. Too bad you couldn't find this news out after summer so you could still enjoy yummy fruits and vegetables. You can do it though!

tharker said...

By the way, I love your title for this post! You're so creative Kim.

Sarah said...

So after all of that, what is left on the list of foods you CAN eat? Did they give you any meal plan or recipe ideas? I believe you can stick to it though!

Heather said...

Yeah, they should have just given you a list of what you COULD eat.

Shayla said...

I don't think I could handle the no chocolate for more than a few months, either. I'm so sorry for you. Good luck!!! :-)

Brenda said...

I think all of your blogging buddies should give up Chocolate for a month in your support!
Ummmm Nevermind... It is the thought that counts, right?
You are a very strong person and I know you can do it!!!

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

You might avoid kidney stones, but it looks like you'll die of a heart attack! these are all the great heart healthy foods! Well, pass the oatmeal! (without strawberries)

Marilyn said...

Okay, that is crazy! What the heck CAN you eat? I am so so very sorry!

Debie Spurgeon said...

Holy cow Kim, that a long list of foods. I guess it's just going to take some planning. At least now you have the information, good luck.

Jodi said...

I totally feel for you Kim! I have no will power (I guess that's obvious since I gained 30 lbs. back that I lost)...thank goodness you do! I've been wanting to start counting my points again - and you've inspired me to do it. If you can follow this new "diet" - I can count a few measly points.

susie said...

wow. i don't think i could do it, kim. seriously. give me the meds. i hope that i am a one-time-kidney-stone case and that it was due to my at-the-time-high-intake-of-diet-coke (which I have greatly reduced). yikes. i'm feeling for you. good luck.

Lisa Christine said...

YIKES! That is pretty rigid. I noticed that none of my DonSalsa ingredients are on that list. And corn isn't either. So I guess if you want, I can supply you with salsa to eat, day and night.

No Potatos? I don't know about that. That sounds hard. But hey, at least if this doesn't work out, you can go on the meds.

Good Luck!
~The Donald
donaldrsorensonesq.blogspot.com

PRP said...

What a quandary urine! (Wink, wink.)
If anyone can do this, it's totally you. Yes, it will completely stink from time to time but if you're feeling better, it won't even matter after awhile. At least, that's what you should keep telling yourself.

Hang in there!

Jessica said...

It is so hard to be told what NOT to eat, it is always so much more tempting knowing you CAN'T have it!!

Sara said...

Good Luck on sticking to that terrible diet. If anyone can do it you can. Oh and by the way who eats some of the stuff listed, it sounds like stuff you would feed to livestock? Yikes.

hatch said...

Wow so what can you eat? That is a huge list of no no's. I have never even heard of some of those things. Who eats spelt? Good luck with this. I hear that kidney stones are so miserable.

Chris said...

I've been living off of Tootie Frooties cereal, root beer, and gum for weeks now. You should be fine.

Jan said...

Okay Kim! Urine and poop. Its a subject I read alot about in here. Joking. That is a shame of a list for sure. I hope that you can quickly adjust to the new eating life. But I know that you are a very together gal that can pull off anything. I just hope you "pass" this stage of life fast.
Clever girl you.

Lisa Christine said...

You poor thing! I wouldn't survive. I live for dark chocolate. And milk chocolate only once a week?.....torture!
Keep strong and good luck!

behka said...

I think I would just practice moderation in all things and ask for the meds. Some things on this list I couldn't go without! But I have gall stones, not kidney stones, so maybe the pain isn't worth it... Good luck Kim!