May 5, 2008

On the Lam

We have one very sad little girl at this house.
You see, she's lost her very best friend in the whole wide world. They did everything together, these two. Where you would find one, you'd find the other, everytime. Baby Susie became a member of our family because she and Maddie were completely inseperable. She had a place at the dinner table, a seat on Maddie's lap for every car ride, sports event, restaurant excursion, or movie. She accompanied us to every park, zoo, trip to the store, and faithfully went with us to church every single Sunday. When it was time for bed, neither Maddie or Baby Susie would complain because they would be tucked in together every single night. You would often find Maddie whispering to Baby Susie telling her all sorts of secrets, comforting her, changing her diaper, feeding her, rocking her, you name it. Maddie has been in baby doll heaven since she could carry her by herself.


Until now.


Baby Susie is missing. Gone. Nowhere to be found. Our only comfort is that she is with Maddie's absolute favorite blankie (lavendar crocheted baby afghan) in the whole wide world, too. We can't find either one! (sorry, Gram!) They've got to be together because just like Maddie and Susie were inseperable, so were Baby Susie and blankie. So not only is Maddie missing her best friend, but she's also missing her favorite blankie she's used since birth. We have searched this house high and low. Not one nook or cranny has been overlooked. Baby Susie and blankie are not in this house. We've since retraced our steps and have checked the lost and found at every place we frequent. No luck. Since I'm this close to issuing an Amber Alert, I've decided to reach out to you, the public. We all go to the same places, right? Maybe you can think of someplace I've not thought of yet. My baby girl is miserable without her best friend. She is beside herself wanting to know how life will carry on without Baby Susie by her side.

MISSING

Name: Baby Susie

Height: 18 inches

Weight: 3 pounds

Eye color: Blue

Hair color: Bald

Last seen wearing: her long underwear - should be white but the color may be questionable

Distinguishing marks or features: Definitely looks used - poor girl. She may still have a trace of peanut butter in her right ear.

If you have any information regarding the whereabouts of Baby Susie and blankie, please contact me ASAP! My Maddie will be so grateful for any leads!

33 comments:

Stacia said...

I haven't seen her. This is sad. I lost a doll I had when I was little and I remember having dreams about the doll. Maybe someday our baby dolls will have GPS tracking on them and we won't have this ever happen to another sweet girl again!

Debie Spurgeon said...

I can't help but smile at the sweet way you presented this, but I know that is serious business.

I hope baby Susie finds her way home soon.

Amy said...

I'm laughing while tearing up. Maybe she went to get her eyebrows done.
Seriously though, I'm kinda glad Sophie hasn't become attached to any one thing yet but I keep telling myself that if she does, I have to purchase a back-up.

Chris said...

Did you check behind the TV? That's where we found Owen's stuffed animal polar bear that he can't live without.

Jan said...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry Kim. Those attachments are so real to little kids. That was some relationship. I am so sad that Maddie lost her beloved friend Susie and blankie. Since my Mattie loves to spy, maybe I'll put her on this case quickly. We honestly have a spy office room just for the kids to pretend their Nancy Drew skills. It is a blast.

Did you check in a suitcase? Did you go anywhere? Sometimes I have found things from a previous outing. Good luck.

Kris said...

Porter has a little blankie too that he has slept with EVERY night since he was born. I know the relationship between a baby and a blankie. I will keep my eye open for Baby Susie and her little afghan. Good luck, I know what it's like to be missing things. We are still in search of one of our Couch Pillows. This was a really cute Post Kim.

dandee said...

Oh, so, so sad! I will say a little prayer that Baby Susie returns home safely!

Alicia Leppert said...

Baby Susie AND Lavender Blankie?! This is a tragedy! I can't even imagine the turmoil Maddie is going through, missing not just one but BOTH of her cherished items. Where in the world could they be? Baseball practice? Games? I will brainstorm some more. Baby Susie must be found, at all costs!! And I do have to say, the way you posted about this was so clever and totally made me laugh.

susie said...

That's so sweet of you to name a beloved child's doll after me! :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that loses things! What a tragedy...I hope you can find her soon. I feel like she's one special baby...especially to have a name like that!!!

PRP said...

Hysterical, and yet heartbreaking!

Hannah has been missing her beloved doll Violet for months and she still asks for it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Lisa Christine said...

Is it totally wrong of me to think that this was totally hilarious....yet devastating at the same time???

The hilarious part....your description and thoughts of an Amber Alert.

The devastating part....your heart broken child.

We too have dolls and blankets that are part of the family. I can only imagine the grief that your family is going through.

Best wished for a safe return and happy reunion :)

::lindsay said...

I loved your description of missing Susie, but I know it must be pretty devastating for Maddie. I hope she turns up!

Rachael said...

So sad! I love the background music, though.... I haven't heard that song in forever! Very appropriate, considering Maddie's tragic situation. My heart is seriously breaking for her. I still have my blankie in my Hope Chest, and Colton loves his blankie more than anything in this world....If there is anything I can do, please let me know

Heather said...

That's no good! Hope they turn up soon.

Jodi said...

How sad for poor Maddie! All my boys are/were blankie boys (so is mom). :) I guess I was on the same wavelength as MQ - my first thought was I've seen Baby Susie cheering on Brady's baseball team. I wonder if they have a lost and found you can check...

Brenda said...

Did you check the church? I feel so bad for her, and you! She has to be heartbroken! I will keep my eyes open for sweet Susie.

tharker said...

Poor Maddie. I hope she and the eyebrow-less little baby with Peanut Butter in her ear are reunited very soon.

Have you looked behind your fence in the field? I know it's a strange suggestion, but maybe poor little Susie got tossed over the fence or something.

Have you checked under all the seats in your car? I'm sure you have, but I feel so bad for Maddie that I'm throwing out anything!

Sara said...

I hope baby and blanket make their way back home soon. I loved this very creative post.

Sarah said...

That is the saddest little face I have ever seen! I really hope you find her little baby soon.

Nicole said...

Oh dear! Life would be tragic if we lost Baby and Toat. I sure hope you find them soon! When was the last time you saw them?

meohmyers said...

Thanks for the condolensces, everyone! We've checked with all the cosmetologists - no one has seen an eyebrowless doll wanting her eyebrows fixed, behind the TV, old bags and suitcases, behind the fence, and under the car seats per your suggestions. No luck yet. We have yet to check the church or the baseball fields. I think Baby Susie is in doll heaven...

Good news though! Gram called first thing this morning at first sight(read) of the devastating news for her youngest granddaughter. She has offered to replace the afghan! Now if I could only track down the same baby doll we bought back in 2005! Then we'd be set! I'll keep you all posted!

meohmyers said...

Nicole - the last FOR SURE sighting of Baby Susie and blankie was last Thursday during preschool- Jeff's day off. He took Maddie on his errands with him but we've checked everywhere they went. We can't remember actually seeing her with them that day so we have no clue where they've ended up.

Ms. Kristen said...

Oh my gosh! This is the funniest post I have seen in a long time! I will keep a look out! It is all daddies fault! He needs to retrace the day! Good luck!

We need a preschool lunch date!

Alicia Leppert said...

When was she last seen? could she be locked in a certain storage unit? just a thought. this is Bill

hatch said...

This is really sad. I really hope baby Susie is found soon. My heart is hurting for Maddie. These pictures of her and her doll are so cute.

I am glad you can still keep your sense of humor through this tragic loss.

meohmyers said...

Good idea, Bill, but we're pretty sure they were already missing by that point. That was Saturday, right? I think she went MIA on Thursday.

meohmyers said...

Kristen - Jeff has retraced his steps that day and we've asked every lost and found - Walmart, Lowe's, Blockbuster, McDonald's... if they have baby and blankie. We can't find them!

When can you do a preschool lunch date?! I was just mentioning the same thing to Molly last night!

Maren said...

So sad! I know, for sure, there are no babies in my testosterone filled home but I will surely be on the lookout for Susie and the blankie.

The Donald said...

I will round up a search party ASAP, and start checking every house in your neighborhood. No couch or fridgerator or chair shall be left unturned until the baby is back!

Jessica said...

I will check at the school's lost and found, you never know. This is so sad! I loved the post though, too funny!!

The Donald said...

Kim is now dead. Ms. Ming Won has taken her place. Only the Kim with perfect eyebrows is left standing. Speaking of eyebrows, I have a pic that will keep you up at night, wondering why nothing has been done for this poor soul. Check out this link to see what I mean.

http://www.heatworld.com/Article/3192/The+9+0'Clock+News+%E2%80%93+Wed+21+Nov


or this one

http://evilbeetgossip.film.com/2007/11/19/someone-has-taken-her-love-for-eva-peron-a-little-too-far/


There is no excuse!!!

And if for some reason those don't work, just do a google search for Lourdes Leon.

Jodi said...

That's sooooo funny! When I read the comment about eyebrows that would keep you up at night - my first thought was Lourdes too. How sad.

Marilyn said...

So sad, but I love the way you wrote this, you are so clever!