January 13, 2008

Project L.O.V.E.

I don't know what L.O.V.E. stands for, it just sounded like a good title.



Here's my brother. This is Staff Sergeant Scott Eric Powell. He has been in the army now for about 5 years and is currently deployed in Taji, Iraq - his 3rd tour!! He's been there since mid-November and is on a 15 month assignment. I thought it would be fun for my preschool to send his unit a Valentine's Care Package. That is until I was told to make atleast 1-0-0 Valentine's! Don't worry, I'm still taking on the project but thought I would open this to you my blogger friends to help me out.

What I'm hoping for is atleast 100 Valentines that would be received by men and women serving in Iraq. I've already asked my other preschool friends to help me, but if you feel up to it, I would love to send as many as we could, especially to be given to those whose families don't send mail. How precious would it be for our children to hand write sentiments in Valentine's Day cards for loved ones overseas! I was hoping to include some goodies as well and was told candy and cookies are okay to send but no chocolate! It is so hot in Iraq that the chocolate is just a big melted mess by the time they get it!

My deadline for this project is on Thursday, January 31st. I will be sending this package to Iraq on Friday, February the 1st! We have a few FHE's before the deadline~! Please, if you would like to participate, bring me any items you have for this package here to my home before the 31st! Thanks in advance!

We love our troops, let's show them how much!

19 comments:

Alicia Leppert said...

This is a direct quote from Bill after he read this post:

"I thought she said 'simplify', not 'semper fi.'" Ha, ha, good one, Bill.
This was in response to my joke that this must be your first act of simplifying your life! Ha ha, good one, Alicia.

What an awesome idea! I am all there. We will be Valentine-making machines. Well, I can guarantee at least four, but we'll shoot for more! Who told you to make 100?

I know this comment is so long already, but I just have to add that when Landon was on his mission in Arizona I sent him a care package loaded with chocolate. To Arizona. I don't think I need to explain more.

meohmyers said...

Hahaha! You guys crack me up! That's funny, when I was writing my "simplify" post, I thought how close it sounded to "semper fi"! I wasn't the only one who thought that!

I hear from Scott about once a week since he has access to email this time around. I asked him if my preschool wanted to send a Valentine's Day Package how many Valentine's would we need to make thinking he would respond back with like 30 or something. When he said 100 should be enough, my jaw dropped! But I can do it!! I know I'll get more than 100 with everyone's help!

"Simplify". What was I thinking?!

Kris said...

This is a great idea Kim. You are always coming up with great things to do for other people! I think it's awesome!

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Count us in. We'll try to get 10 to you! Good idea! I've been wondering about digital scrapbooking. Do you download the "paper" to your computer? How do you add the pictures on? Can you ever print them out?

Sarah said...

What a great big sister you are! That is a really sweet idea.

Maren said...

You need cards?? Well count me in. Let me know how many. Your brother looks exactly the same! Well, a grown up version of the kid I remember so well! I would have recognized him anywhere!

meohmyers said...

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help. I don't mind how many you make, anything will get me closer to 100!!!

Julie - the digital scrapbooking - I use the Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0. I've only got it for 20 more days on a trial version but plan on getting it permanently sometime soon. Yes, you upload the papers to your computer then when you want to make a page, you open the papers and elements you want to use with Photoshop. After you're finished with your page, you can save it as a jpeg file then upload it to Costco or Shutterfly or whichever and print your pages. Costco can print a 12x18 size page for $2.99 getting a 12x12 and 2 6x6's on one page! I have yet to print anything but can't wait! This is so much easier than dragging out 5 suitcases full of supplies to take to a crop and only getting 2 pages done!! I LOVE IT!!!

Kristi said...

I am so tempted to follow your lead... don't you miss the texture of real paper and elements, though?

Kristi said...

Oh, and it looks like FHE for next Monday is figured out! Thanks for the idea!

Chris said...

L.O.V.E. stands for "Lots of Valentines Everyone"

meohmyers said...

"Lots of Valentines Everyone" it is then.

Much better than the one I was thinking of ...
"Love Overseas Valentine's Event"

Debie Spurgeon said...

Hey Kim, The Spurgeons would love to participate. We'll do some cards and goodies. What a fabulous idea!! Thank you for taking on such a thougtful project.

Brenda said...

Ok, so is your brother single? If he is I want my single sister to send him a Valentine. He is very handsome... Anyway, We will do what we can here, the kids love crafts! Love your layouts, but now you need a laptop for those crops right :)

Ms. Kristen said...

Thanks for the nice comment! I hope the best for that child! I am done thinking about it! It stills hurts though! I do have 43 happy students!
We will busily get 45 Valentines completed for your brother and friends! I lamanited his picture and put it on a big pink heart! It is hanging on my wall where the kids can see it! They are excited to get started next week! Due Jan 31st?

meohmyers said...

Wow, thanks everyone! This is going to be such a fun package to send to him! I can't wait to see how it all comes together!

Sorry, Brenda, but Scott is a happily married father of 2. He is pretty cute though!

Thanks, Kristen! That's so sweet of you to post his picture! So glad you are able to help! I'll drop off some paper and stickers for your preschoolers tomorrow. Yep, due Jan. 31st!

Jessica said...

What a great thing to do! How many are you up to? Do you need more?

meohmyers said...

I have no idea what I'm up to but I know there are more soldiers than we can make Valentines for so if you feel up to it, I won't turn anything away!!

susie said...

Look at you...making your own header!!! I'm so proud of you! :) I'll probably be sending some valentines your way, too!

meohmyers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.