one little word
A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow. Today I want to introduce you to the idea that a single word can be a catalyst for enriching your life. Last year I began a tradition of chosing one word for myself each January - a word that I can focus on, mediate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life.
I don't know who this person is that started this way of thinking but I like the idea. Since first reading about this (thanks marilyn) I keep wondering what will my word for 2008 be? I think I've come up with a word that will keep me focused, a word I can reflect upon as I go about my daily life. What's my word?
SIMPLIFY
This word has several meanings to me. First of all, to me it means easy. Not to be confused with lazy, slacking, or cutting corners - but easy. Quit making things so complicated! That's a note to self, by the way. I tend to over complicate, over exaggerate, and over do things to the point of making myself stressed, anxious, burnt out and frankly just pooped. I need to simplify things. Not that I won't continue to give my all to things, but just on a scaled down version - if I'm capable of that!
Secondly, to me it means straightforward. I need to be honest, quick, and deliberate with others. I tend to ramble, talk in circles, and say what others want to hear. Don't worry - I will not be mean when conversing with others, I'll just get to the point - or try. I find myself saying things over and over again when trying to get a point across or even holding a simple conversation. Why? I don't know. See? Rambling.
Third, to me it means just that. Simplify. Simplify things regarding my family, our activities, our purchases, our hobbies. I want to get rid of cable since my kids watch too much tv. I want to limit their time spent on video games and encourage opening a book instead. I want to quit thinking "There's enough money in the account for this purchase," instead think "why not save this money and relieve my husband's stress a little." I want to stop relying on McDonald's to feed me or my children lunch. I want to spend more time with my family outdoors, hiking, taking a stroll, figuring out what makes each of them tick. I want to spend more time on my knees expressing my gratitude and relying on my Father in Heaven who already knows what we desire and need.
So there you have it. My word for 2008 is simplify. Think about it. What word will you choose?
10 comments:
What a great post. What a great "resolution!" Especially the part about your family and turning off the tv and spending more time together. We so need to do that.
I never notice you rambling or repeating yourself! It's funny how we have insecurities about stuff that other people probably never notice.
I think everyone knows my word. The big "P" word. The word heard round the world.
Wow! You made me think! I have been craving curling up on the couch and reading with Katlyn or Hunter or just myself! I will be thinking for awhile of just my "one" word...I will let you know! You are inspiring! Thanks!
Great post Kim. I love how you chose Simplify as your word and that you have a way to apply it to many different aspects in your life. You have me thinking too. I like the idea of choosing a word that I can focus on this year!
First, you have me do a "100 things about me" list, and now you want me to come up with one word? I think the one word will be much harder.
Great post. No need to thank me, I think Ali Edwards deserves the praise. She inspires me.
Simplify is a great word, and your third explanation, the part about simplifying everything, the tv, purchases, it all struck a chord with me, so THANK YOU!
This is so great! Marilyn and I were talking about your "word" yesterday and I know EXACTLY what you mean! Thank you for this!
Wonderful post Kim! That is a great word to focus on! I need to do more of this in my life!
I do have to add that when we moved in this house we decided to go with out dish (can't get cable out here) and it made a HUGE difference, no more 'just see what is on' the hundred channels! I would never go back to having it!
This was a great post Kim. I could use that word when I talk to people too! Your description of talking in circles describes me perfectly!
I don't know what my one word would be...I'll have to think on it.
I think one of my words for this year is "Now". I need to enjoy what I have now, enjoy my children now, enjoy my family now, take care of myself now. Not tomorrow, but now.
Kim,
What a powerful post, I needed to hear someone else express what I have been feeling this week. Thanks for the idea!
Sara Spencer
Post a Comment