January 20, 2008

Leaving a Legacy


Ms. Nellie Sammons Powell
June 15, 1908 - January 19, 2008
This is my sweet Grandmother. She was just 5 months shy of her 100th birthday when she passed away. She was born and raised in Georgia and lived her entire life there in the tiny town of Wrightsville. She married a man 10 years older than her and he passed away before I was even born, so she has been a widow for about 35 years! She has 4 sons, the third of which is my Dad. I'm trying to figure this out but I think she has 14 grandchildren, 34 great-grandchildren, and 4 great-great-grandchildren. I could be wrong, though!
I have so many childhood memories of my Grandmother. We lived in Georgia when I was 5-12 years old. We would make what would feel like the longest trip in the world to her house for holidays or family reunions. I think it was only a 2 1/2 hour drive but it felt like eternity! I remember feeling so elated as soon as we turned on the dirt road that led to her house! I also remember her always standing on the front porch to greet us when we pulled up. We would all get out of our car to give her a hug and we couldn't wait to see if she was shrinking again. Of course it was just us growing but it seemed like every time we went to see her, she was shorter.
My grandmother loved to garden. She took care of her garden herself until she could no longer live alone which I believe was into her 90s. She was extremely healthy, a hard worker, a talented artist, a petite, very sweet and extremely soft-spoken lady. I loved doing the same things at her house when we would visit. We would go across the road and play at the huge pond, try fishing in it, we loved swinging on the tire swing that hung on the humongous oak tree in her front yard, and of course spend hours and hours on her front porch just visiting with everyone. I want a porch swing. Her home was so old but cozy. She only had space heaters to heat the rooms and I remember the toilet seat was always so freezing cold when I had to sit on it! She always hosted our reunions and managed to fit lots and lots of family in her home. My favorite thing about reunions was all the delicious food! My relatives can cook! I loved the black eyed peas, the cream style corn, pecan pie, sweet potato casserole, I literally could go on and on about the food. I also remember being afraid of what lived under her house. If we ever lost a ball or toy under the house, there it remained because no one would go under there!
I have so many memories of my Grandmother. One of my favorites was when she spent Christmas with us in Washington when I was about 13 or 14 years old. She had never been on an airplane before and she was in her 70s! She put her fears aside and came to see us! It was so nice having her at our home for a change and I think that was the first time I ever saw her in a pair of pants! She always wore dresses wherever she went and I remember being shocked to see she had a pair of pants on! Isn't it funny the things you remember?
I am so grateful that she had a peaceful passing. My uncle was in the room with her and he said it was the most peaceful passing he had ever heard of or witnessed. She simply took her last breath and that was it. I'm grateful for that. I'm grateful that although she never joined the church, she supported my Dad in his decision to be baptized and raise his children in the LDS church. I can't help but think that my brother is teaching her the gospel right now! Her only grandchild that passed away is now her missionary! I'm so grateful for the knowledge that I have of life after death. I know she is in a better place and is reunited with loved ones who passed on before her. What a reunion that had to have been!
To my sweet Grandmother, I love you. Thank you for the legacy you have left behind and for the memories of you I will forever cherish.

15 comments:

Ms. Kristen said...

Very sweet Kim! It is a nice feeling to know that she was greeted by her loved ones! I love the memories about grandmothers! I think my grandmother mostly wore skirts or dresses! Good for them!

Kristi said...

It was nice to read this post and see a photo of your grandma. I enjoyed reading about her life. You'll have to find out if the funeral home tapes her service, and if there is any way to get a transcript or copy of it. The one thing I really appreciate from the funerals I've been to is learning so much about someone from others' perspectives. It would be neat to learn more things about your grandma. She sounds like a wonderful woman. I'm sad for your loss!

Kristi said...

not her life, your memories of times you spent with her. Those were sweet. That's what I meant.

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Great tribute, kim. I'm really wanting her history now to pass on to my kids. Lets pump your dad for info on her younger years! I remember we were at that Christmas at your house and I remember her pants too! Remember her blueberries? The best. And Tim would ALWAYS tip that porch swing backward and scare the crap out of me. And peach trifle. and reverse glass paintings. Good times.

PRP said...

Lovely tribute Kim. It's so nice to have memories like that that you can now pass onto your kids.

Jessica said...

Very nice tribute to your grandmother! So sorry for you loss.

Alicia Leppert said...

I always forget you're a Georgia peach! Reading this I felt like I'd stepped into a good old fashioned Georgia family reunion. What wonderful memories. I love hearing about other people's memories of their childhoods and trips to visit grandparents. There's just something about it that is so memorable. This was such a beautiful tribute to your grandma and I absolutely loved the thought you had of your brother teaching her the gospel right now. I am certain you are right!

Heather said...

What a nice little memoir, I loved the details about the under the house. We used to feel the exact same way about my grandparents basement- OUTER DARKNESS.

Kris said...

You have a beautiful grandma! at's amazing that she lived for so long. Sorry to hear about the loss.

Marilyn said...

Beautiful post. Kim, my sympathies to your family.

tharker said...

What a great way to honor your Grandmother's memory. She sounds like a wonderful woman, and it's so great that you knew her so well. Now you can pass on all of these treasured memories to your children.

AOlson said...

Amazing post Kim. It was a very nice "article" to read. Thank you for sharing.

Sarah said...

So sorry for your family's loss, your grandmother sounds like a wonderful lady. I loved all of the special memories that you shared. Hope you are able to make your family trip in June.

Brynn said...

Kim, what a great surprise to see you comment on my blog. I love how I'm getting in contact with so many lost friends through blogging. I love blogging!! I really love your digital scrapbooking a lot. I wish I could've entered your give away day for the header. That was cute.
I'm sorry for your passing. She sounds like a wonderful lady and grandma. What a long life she lived.
Good to see your blog and your family is adoreable. I'll stop by often. Thanks.
Brynnley

susie said...

So sorry to hear about your grandma, Kim! What great memories...good for your for writing them down. I need to do that, too.