This is our pet crab, Mr. Krabs. We've had him for about a month or so. His brother, Spongebob, died last week. So a couple of days ago, I noticed Mr. Krabs wasn't coming down from the filter. He looked like he was either dead or dying so I quit feeding him. He wasn't eating the food that was at the bottom of his tank so I thought I'd just let him be. After 3 days of hanging out on the filter, we took a pencil to him and got him off. He just floated down to the bottom. We thought for sure he was dead. Then last night, I was going to turn off his light and saw this!! Look closely at the picture. I thought "Mr. Krabs isn't dead, he's in labor!" There was another crab coming out of Mr. Krabs' back, like a flip-top convertible. His back was open and this other crab was trying to come out! It seriously freaked me out! We were watching in fascination as this crab was giving birth!
Or so I thought. Who knew that crabs actually shed their skin? This crab was actually "molting". A process in which the crab sheds the outer hard shell, the exoskeleton, in order to grow a larger shell! I never knew that! So the crab goes into isolation a few days before the molting occurs and actually looks like it could be dead, then sheds the shell, possibly loses a few legs in the process and grows new legs! Isn't that crazy? So poor Spongebob, our other crab, who we thought was dead was probably in the first stages of molting and we just threw him away! So now that I'm educated in the whole molting of crabs process, I'll continue to watch in fascination as this new, larger, soft crab feeds off his old shell - rich in calcium, and grows new legs out of the buds that are there. Fascinating!
10 comments:
That is very weird. I also would have thrown away the others. Good thing you checked found out before this one went the way of the world
Poor Spongebob...
We would have done the same thing. Good thing you didn't chuck this one out too! : )
That is crazy! Seriously, who knew! Lucky for Mr. Krabs you did some research;)
Kind of fascinating, kind of creepy...
RIP Spongebob!
That is the grossest thing I have seen today!!! You and your pets!!!
I think I would have just chucked the whole aquarium!!! :)
Kim, thanks for blogging. I check everyday and then move onto the next blog on my list disappointed that you must be too busy to post.
Anyways, that is a crazy story! It made me think about how we as mothers have the opportunity to learn so much. I've learned about lizards, and you've learned about crabs. Pretty cool!
Scott had a pet crab for awhile didn't he? I don't remember it doing anything like that. Very strange.
That is so cool! Why do all the exciting pet things happen to you? When we had pets all they did was sit there and poop and demand food. (Or get attacked by other people's fish:) Poor Spongebob, he never saw it coming...
oh, what's with you and all the clever titles lately? So cute.
Post a Comment