"Some of you may know I was in the army. Well, when a soldier is wounded in battle they are given an award called a purple heart. This award signifies being wounded while at war. Will Brady Myers please stand up?"
So Brady stood up and the coach continued, "Brady, I have an award here for you that closely resembles a purple heart. This award is equivalent to receiving a purple heart while at war. This is an award for your bravery. I've written something that I'd like to read to you..." and he pulls out this certificate that says this,
"Brady Myers has been hit by a fast thrown baseball on numerous occasions while being at bat. In several instances he has sustained painful injury. While most people, young and old alike, would have discontinued attending practices and games, Brady Myers has not. His remarkable bravery was demonstrated during the game played on May 7th, 2008. During this game, Brady Myers not only stood bravely at bat, but he also got a base hit, an RBI, and was ranked as the team's #1 defensive player. The bravery shown by this young man is on par with many of the acts of bravery that I have personally witnessed in my lifetime."
Signed by his coach, Blaise S. Mo
He pinned this medal on him that had this inscription on the back: BRADY Outstanding Bravery "under fire".


Brady was so eager to show me everything since I was just sitting in the car this whole time. I read the certificate and saw the medal so I of course had to go and thank the coach for this. I told him I was so pleased that he took this opportunity to recognize and validate Brady's fears of being hit by the ball while at bat. (He's been hit 5 times already!) Brady was absolutely starting to dread going to games and practices because of his fears but he would still go. Unwillingly and scared, but he'd still do it. So his coach went and got this medal engraved and typed out this certificate but he didn't have to! I thought that was going above and beyond his responsibility as Brady's coach and I couldn't thank him enough. I told him how impressed I was that he'd go out of his way for Brady and he kept saying things like, "Brady deserves all the credit here. He needed this recognition. He is a remarkable young man and I wanted him to know how proud I am of him and his bravery. That's all." Brady of course was beaming and couldn't wait to show his Dad and to call his Gram and tell them all about it. He'll always remember this and I know it has helped boost the confidence he needs to atleast finish out this season.
Thanks, again, coach. You made my son's day.
18 comments:
What a cool coach. Brady certainly deserves this award. He gas been one brave kid.
I'm sure that Brady thinks his coach is the coolest guy ever! That medal is so awesome! Way to go Brady!
That's awesome that Mo recognized Brady's bravery! Maybe Davis and Brady can encourage each other on when Davis goes back to playing baseball tomorrow. And if you wouldn't mind holding my hand through it all...I'm very nervous!
If this coach is as awesome as he sounds, I am sure he will have some type of award for Davis when he gets back into the game. Tell Brady that I am impressed...don't tell him that I am impressed because I have ALWAYS been scared of balls being thrown at me.
What an awsome coach! That is way above an beyond, lucky brady for having such a great coach!!
What an awesome coach! Sometimes kids just need an extra little boost of confidence like that, and way to go Brady for being the defensive player for three games in a row! That is impressive.
That is so cool. I love it when people go the extra mile and do stuff beyond the normal requirement. I know Brady will never forget that.
The coach deserves a medal and trophy. I love people like that. He is a great role model to Brady. And what a neat medal of bravery. It is really neat.
Impressive dude! I didn't even know that the coach was giving out medals yet. I'm going to practice tomorrow. See ya. Davis
wow. cool coach!
That is so awesome! Brady is lucky to have such a thoughtful coach. and he really is brave, not many kids would still be playing after 1 or 2 hits, but 5! That should be recognized.
Wow, congratulation Brady.
I bet you are so proud of him, what a great kid!!
What an incredible coach! So thoughtful! He was right, though, that Brady does deserve recognition for sticking with it through his fears. What a great boy!
Awesome!! Nothing makes a person feel better than being recognized by someone you respect. What a great coach and what a great kid!
That is so cool! Congrats Brady!
Awesome! Way to go Brady!
Oh that just makes it all worth it. I am going to remember this for future mishaps on the baseball/softball field! Thanks! And way to go Brady.
Post a Comment