May 22, 2008

Faith to Move Mountains

Cameron and his buddy, Isaiah, who this story includes. Crazy that I even have a picture of the two of them!

Any of you who know Cameron knows of his absolute love of the gospel. He LOVES bearing his testimony every Fast Sunday and begs to go up after the youth speaker on regular Sundays. He gets so discouraged when I tell him it's not Fast Sunday and the youth speaker wasn't for testimony meeting. Seriously. I wasn't like this as a child and I don't know where he gets his confidence from. He loves church and hates when we have to miss it for any reason. I can't even begin to explain the relief I feel as his mom knowing the unwaivering faith and abiding testimony he already has at the age of 7. But at the same time I feel this overwhelming pressure as his mom to make sure his love of the gospel stays with him until he is responsible for making his own choices, past the age of accountability, I'm talking into adulthood. Does that even make any sense? He has an incredible spirit and I feel so honored to be his mom. He is constantly asking his friends if they want to go to church with him. He even brings our old church manuals to school to read during reading time like the Heber J. Grant manual, and the Joseph Smith manual, and tells his friends of what these prophets experiences include. Won't he make a tremendous missionary someday?!

Yesterday, I was picking the boys up from school to get Brady to scouts when Cameron's teacher was walking his class to the buses. She walked right by my car with my windows down and said, "Mrs. Myers, you'll have to ask Cameron about his coat story. Absolutely wonderful." I said something along the lines of, "Okay, I'll be sure to do that! Thanks!"

Of course I couldn't wait to hear what wonderful coat story Cameron had to share so as soon as everyone was in the car, I asked Cameron about it. He asked me how did I know? I told him his teacher mentioned it to me. Here's what he said.

"At recess today, Isaiah and I were playing and we took our coats off and just put them on the ground. When it was time to go in, the duty was telling everyone to hurry and line up and we both forgot about our coats. We were sitting in the classroom when I told Isaiah, 'We forgot our coats!', and he said, 'Oh yeah! Our coats!' So we went and told Mrs. Smith if we could go back outside and get our coats. She said yes. So we went back outside and they weren't there. We decided to go to the Lost and Found and we looked through the whole coat rack and dug through the big box and our coats weren't there. We were looking really hard, everywhere. Then we went to the office and asked if they had seen our coats and we described them to her. She said we should go back to class now and come back to the Lost and Found tomorrow and see if they got turned in. But we wanted to find our coats then so when she wasn't looking, we went back to the Lost and Found. When we got there, I asked Isaiah if we should say a prayer so Heavenly Father could help us find our coats. Isaiah said, 'Yeah! I know how to pray!' Then he put his finger on his forehead, then his chest, then one shoulder, then on the other shoulder, then he kissed his finger and said Amen. I told him that's not how I pray and told him you're supposed to fold your arms, bow your head, and close your eyes. Then you say, 'Dear Heavenly Father, then you say thank you for some blessings like this day, and our families, then you ask for help in finding our coats, then you say We say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.' He said he wouldn't remember all those words and I asked him if he wanted me to say the prayer. He said that he wanted me to say it. So I showed him how to fold his arms and bow his head. Then I said the prayer and when I was done, I told him let's look through the Lost and Found again so we did! And guess what? He reached in the box and pulled out his coat and said, 'Hey! Here's my coat!' Then I reached in the box and I pulled out my coat and said, 'Look! Here's mine!' Isaiah said he was so happy that our prayer worked! When we went back to class, we told Mrs. Smith that we found our coats by praying and she wanted to hear the whole story so we told her."

At this point, I couldn't be more proud of my sweet son. He is a shining example of righteousness and unwaivering faith. I can't help but think of the tiny little seed he has planted in Isaiah's heart of praying in faith and the power of prayer.

Cameron, you glow. Your tremendous little testimony is growing everyday. I know it can't be measured, but if it could, your faith would fill the deepest ravine and stretch taller than the highest mountain. Keep on, Cameron.

22 comments:

Leslie Garbanati said...

What an amazing story! I am continually in awe at what we can learn from those so sweet and young. It's almost as if through their youth, innoconce and such short time they have been away from Heavenly Father; they are far wiser than we are in our years.
Thanks for sharing! Your children are a reflection of you and the wisdom you have given them!

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

I'm sure glad we have your kids to be the leaders of tomorrow. I'll be grateful if mine make it to tomorrow!

Vanessa said...

He is such a great example to all of us. If we could all have faith like him, imagine what we could do.

Brenda said...

That story nearly brought tears to my eyes. I am SO glad that Trevor has such good friends that can be a good example to him. I can only pray that they stay friends as they grow up so that they can depend on each other!

Heather said...

That is a great story. Way to go Elder Myers (hopefully he doesn't get mugged like daddy).

Shayla said...

Thanks for sharing that, it DID bring tears to my eyes. After this day, this week, this past two weeks, I needed to hear about faith like that right now. What a sweet little guy, you must be doing the right stuff at your house. :-)

Jan said...

That is a beautiful story of faith of a child. His example just shined. Isaiah will never forget that either. Neither will Cameron. What a tender mercy given. Loved this Kim.

Ms. Kristen said...

You need to send this into the Friend! Great old soul~ He will bring many unto the fold!

Jessica said...

I was thinking the same thing as Kristen, all those cute little stories at the front of the friend. This would be perfect for it. What a good kid you have!!

Michael said...

Wow. What a great kid! I hope that my children will have such faith. This story brough tears to my eyes. I need to not read this stuff at work, kind of embarassing.

Lisa said...

Great Missionary? I'm thinking great prophet!!! Sometimes you just have to wonder. I can't even believe the amount of faith this child has at 7!!! He could definately teach me a thing or two, well maybe a googilian things. Thank you so much for sharing that. It makes me realize how much more I need to be doing. Just one question...what's your secret?

Sarah said...

This totally touched me, I love to hear about primary age children not being afraid to share their testimonies and setting good examples for their friends at school. I'm sure that story will stay with him and his friend forever.

Brenda said...

What a great story Kim. It brought me to tears, I can't imagine what it did to you when he told you the story. I have learned so much this year from our sweet little primary kids. They are amazing little spirits!

Debie Spurgeon said...

He is immovable in his strength and testimony, what a tremendous blessing. Mrs. Smith was touched too I'm sure and I know she'll share it with others as will his little friend.

What a great example of "no fear." I'm anxious to share this with my kids. Thanks!

Amy J. said...

What a stud! That is very impressive, I am such a wimp when it comes to missionary work. I can totally picture Mrs. Smith when you quoted her...and I love that she was impressed with the story too! I just love her.

Alicia Leppert said...

Wow. This story is unbelievable, yet totally believable coming from Cameron. I can just picture his complete innocence and conviction as he showed Isaiah how to pray. Thank you for sharing this story. I am always amazed at the faith and rock-solid testimonies of children.

Jodi said...

What an awesome inspirational story! It totally touched me and I plan on sharing it with my kids too. Now I even more want our kids to hang out together -- maybe something will rub off on my kids! ;) (My kids have been pretty much asking everyday if they could play with yours ever since McD's).

Nicole said...

Very impressive. That Cameron is just growing up so fast!

PRP said...

That is adorable. Good for you him for setting such a great example!

Kristi said...

Wow, that is awesome. He is an impressive kid! If he keeps this up, he'll definitely be a tremendous instrument in the hand of the Lord throughout his life. He's such a great kid!

tharker said...

What a perfect way for me to start my morning by reading this story!

I am so proud of Cameron! I think my favorite part of this whole experience is that he didn't think twice about what he should do. His faith is a wonderful example to all of us.

I agree, this is definitely a Friend article!

MichelleB said...

Hey Kim, Thanks for the story. I used it in my class on Sun and I was touched just as much telling it the second time. We were talking about standing as a witness and I know my teenagers felt the spirit of that little boy. I have always been so aware of Camerons special love for others and I appreciate him so much for sharing that love easily. Great example to us all!!! Thanks Michelle