This hardworking, strong, determined husband is crucial if you'd like to make your own outdoor fire pit. Can't be done without him. Period.
Step 2: Drive 40 minutes out of town to the Cactus Quarry, handpick your favorite boulders, come back, drop them off in a heaping pile, drive back to the quarry and back with more rocks. You'll need about 3.5-4 tons of boulders for this look. This requires about 4 trips out to the quarry. Once you get all the rocks, start stacking them in a horseshoe shape that has been previously dug and trenched for proper drainage. Note: put the flattest, largest rocks on the BOTTOM! Keep stacking the rocks until the wall reaches about 3 feet tall. Anything taller requires a permit!
Step 3: While stacking the rocks, the backside of the wall needs landscaping fabric tucked into it. This step is crucial if you don't want your wall tumbling over from dirt erosion. This fabric keeps the dirt from seeping into all the cracks and pushing the rocks out of place. This step is a MUST!
Step 4: Once the wall is in place, you'll need to build the back side up with dirt. We ordered 14 yards of topsoil and had it all delivered in one dump truck load. Unfortunately, the dump truck could only dump it in one spot. The dirt will need to be dispersed throughout the whole back side of the wall, tampering and watering the dirt into place. Pack it in hard so there won't be any shifting once you start watering.
Step 7: Once the weedblock is all in place, top with landscaping rock. We went with the same rock as the wall but crushed into smaller pieces. Disperse evenly all along the mound.
Step 8: The floor of the firepit. We looked into pavers since that was the look we wanted but found it to be more cost effective if we (Jeff) made our own. He bought the mold that you pour concrete into and it sets making it look like pavers that were put down individually. One mold makes about 10 pavers and you flip the mold to match up next to the one you just did. Once again, sounds easy but this was an extremely time consuming project. When the floor space is covered with the pavers, and once dry, fill the cracks with mortar sand. Just sweep over the tops of the pavers and the sand falls into the cracks. We actually built the firepit right into the ground with an old, semi truck wheel well (free at Les Schwab) that you can't see in this picture so you could actually have a fire right in the ground there. The firepit you see is sitting right on top of the hole.
Step 9: Voila! Invite your friends over and enjoy some S'mores and late night chats right in the comfort of your own backyard.
Next week: DIY Square Foot Gardening in Raised Beds!
26 comments:
Oh my goodness! Jeff needs to start his own home improvment show! IT looks so great! I am truly impressed! Great job!
This looks fantastic. I loved hearing all the steps. What a fun project for your family and the outcome is gorgeous.
Wow! That turned out so nice. I love it!
I LOVE it!!! That's what my parents need, they have a whole mini forest of trees. Awesome job guys.
This looks incredible!! Are you guys for hire :-)
Your backyard looks AMAZING! How long did it take to build the firepit? Great job.
I am completely SPEECHLESS.
Really, really nice job Jeff and Kim. I can just imagine the fun you're going to have this summer.
That looks absolutely fun and beautiful. Years ago when John was out of town I built him a fire pit area for Father's Day and it was some of the hardest work I have ever done. It must not have been too great because just this year Grandpa C. redid the whole thing. Maybe he was just bored.
That is amazing! I dare not show the pics to my mom otherwise Jason's Saturdays will be full for the rest of the summer!
This is beautiful! You have go me thinking......we need one of those. You will have so much fun.
Oh wow. It's gorgeous.
I loved your backyard when we were over the other day!! It is very beautiful! Now that you posted the "EASY" steps I can have Kevin make me one!!
Thats awesome. I have tons of space can i borrow your husband to build me some rockin' raised beds? I need those.
What a project!
It turned out great Kim! Way to go Jeff!! I'm curious how long the entire project took.
I want to do a square foot garden too, so I took forward to next weeks DIY at Meohmyers!
wow - that is FAB-U-LOUS. you guys are DIY pros! you need your own show on TLC!
Wow, Jeff! Who's the man???? Now I feel really guilty for wimping out on our tiny tile backsplash!
DIY fire pit-Leppert style:
1. Put some cinder blocks in a circle on your patio.
2. Put some wood in said circle.
3. Light match
Seriously, our little makeshift fire pit looks so pitiful now!
Looks good. Can't wait to see it in August.
Oh my goodness. Was that something that came out of your mind? Or did you see it somewhere? That is awesome Kim. I do need to get me one of those guys. Really nice job guys. Be proud. Where will Susie sit?
It's so hard to say how long it took to make this from start to finish. Jeff would go out and work on some portion of it for a few hours after work and on his days off until it was finally finished. We were thinking about it and it probably took a total of 12 days. But those days were not in a row. The whole thing took like 6 weeks. It's hard to say.
Jeff had this idea in his head. It's an extreme variation of an idea that inspired him. We've not seen anything like this one before. But it works!
Thanks, everyone for all the kind compliments!
Wow, that looks nice. I just that Lisa doesn't see this....I have too many other things to do!
OK that looks so good. He's just quite the little landscaper. Does he do all of this happily without swearing? Theres no way our family could do all of that without swearing!!! I love love love it. Have a huge party. Good job.
I am overly impressed!! And no...that did not look easy.
You are sure to make some great memories around the fire. Enjoy!
Impressive. I'm almost glad my backyard isn't big enough for such a nice amenity, otherwise I might be expected to attempt to replicate such a nice lawn feature.
Impressive. I'm almost glad my backyard isn't big enough for such a nice amenity, otherwise I might be expected to attempt to replicate such a nice lawn feature.
Post a Comment