June 4, 2008

Got Books?

Last night was Bunco and a night I look forward to each month. I love the girls in my Bunco group and I think I've been playing with them for almost 3 years now! So fun! Anyway, last night's Bunco was hosted by this book guru! She came up with a clever idea for prizes. An idea that has never been done before. After all the points were tallied and all the winners declared, she comes out with different sized bags for each winner. The bags were all different sizes according to your placement but they were empty. So then she has all of us move to her family room which was covered in books for all ages, with our empty bags in hand, and proceeded to tell us how many books we were allowed to fill our bags with! Can you believe it? Luckily, I finished in 2nd place and I got to pick out 26 books!! That's right, 26! The big winner, Kristen, got to pick out 36! Is that not the best idea or what?! So while we're all picking out our books, I'm trying to find preschool books for my library and books for each of my kids. My bag was packed! Here's what I ended up with.


Of course, I was going to show my kids their books this morning during breakfast but they beat me to it! Brady was the first one downstairs and started rummaging through this bag of books picking out exactly what I had chosen for him. He came running upstairs and asked, "Who are these books for?" I told him they were for you kids and some for the preschool. He was SO EXCITED!!! He showed me the books in his hands and asked if he could write his name in them and take them to school. He showed me the order he wanted to read them in and I'm positive they won't last him all summer. He loves to read and got some pretty good books to choose from! Amy, the one he's most excited for is Indian Captive, after I told him it's one of his Spectrum books for next year. But the one he started reading during breakfast and on the way to school was Shredderman!


Cameron was picking out his books, too, with just as much enthusiasm and decided to read Mighty Robot first. He kept saying, "Ooooh! I love Cam Jansen! Ooooh, I love Amelia Bedelia!" He quickly had to write his name in his new books, too.



Of course, Ally, who is still learning to read was THRILLED with her Biscuit books, the books she can read all by herself. She wants so badly to be able to read whatever book she wants and gets so frustrated when she can't figure out the words and has to ask me what it says. I know it will click soon and she'll be a reading machine just like her brothers. She was so excited to see this book with the ballerinas on the cover and can't wait to read it!



This was the best morning we've had before school in a very long time! The kids wanted to pack their backpacks with their new books and they were all reading in the car on the way there! Looks like I should pay those fines at the library so we can check some books out this summer or head over to Cazier's Corner and check some books out there! Thank you, Amy, for these wonderful gifts. My kids were so happy this morning!


Now, I'm off to finally crack open this series. I know, I know. I'm the last one on the planet to start these books! But now that preschool is over and my house is somewhat clean and the laundry is staying current, I feel like I won't be wasting time if I sit and read. I CAN'T WAIT!


20 comments:

Amy J. said...

Oh my goodness Kim you just made my day! I was so worried that people would be like, "Umm yea, thanks for the USED books Amy, grat prize." I am so glad your kids liked them. I get a thrill whenever someone gets excited about a "new" book. Thank you for sharing those great pictures of your kids and I love that they found them first. The day after Bunco my kids are always asking, "Whadya get?" Enjoy Twilight!

dandee said...

It was such a fun night and I LOVED getting new books for my children too. Great idea and just in time for summer!

Kris said...

What a fun night. Giving away books is a great idea. I love how excited your kids are about them. I hope you enjoy Twilight. It's a good read.

PRP said...

What a great idea! I would love a bag full of new books!

Sarah said...

That's awesome. I love books so much and that was a very creative idea! Glad to see your kids are so enthusiastic about reading.

Jodi said...

That was a great idea Amy! You're so creative. And look at how excited the Myers family is. Just like mine will be when I show them my bag of 6. ;) I thought mine would be too distracted if I showed them this morning. They're hard enough to send to the bus stop. Cute pictures Kim! See ya tonight.

susie said...

Very fun! I have Twilight sitting here staring at me. Someone told me not to start it until I can finish all 3 books in a week! When will that happen??? So, I've yet to start it...maybe on the next road trip!

Brenda said...

How fun! You kids are so bright and smart. What a great idea for a bunco gift.

Sara said...

Books are so wonderful. Congrats on having four budding readers. Summer reading is always the best.

tharker said...

What a great prize idea! And no Amy, it is definitely NOT a lame prize! I would love to win a prize like that too. Your kids' faces all look so happy!

Have fun reading Twilight!

Alicia Leppert said...

I get it, I get it, it was a GREAT night. Rub it in, why don't you. Just kidding, but I am bitter. I loved that you blogged about it. Amy called and told me this morning, it totally made her day (as she said.) I love little Maddie standing there in the middle of her siblings, being in the picture despite having no books. Seriously, though, you better get cracking on Twilight. I'm itching to start reading the series again before #4!!! (Actually, I'm reading the Host. You have a while.)

Debie Spurgeon said...

I love that Amy did books for Bunco prizes because it really is her passion. I can't believe you got to choose so many.

It's fantastic your kids got so excited. Looks like you've got some great summer reading.

Marilyn said...

That is a great idea for Bunco! Awesome. My kids would be thrilled too...

Oh, and I haven't read the Twilight series yet either, but my girls want to read them so I better get busy and be a good mom and pre-read them.

Jan said...

That Amy is the best in the getting everyone excited about reading department. What a grand prize and the faces of your kids say it all. Happy time...

Kristi said...

That's awesome. I feel like such a slacker in the reading department. Fortunately, McKenzie enjoys reading, and stays up too late every night reading some book, but the books you won look way more interesting. I think we need to make more frequent trips to the library, as well. Hopefully reading will be the trick to keep her occupied this summer!

Chris said...

I can't wait for Owen to start reading. I have boxes full of books in the garage from my teaching days.

Lisa Christine said...

The perfect prize! I love books! When I was pregnant with my first child I requested a 'book' baby shower from my friend that offered to host it for me. The idea was that everyone would bring a childrens book to help me build a library of kids books for my future children. It was fabulous!

The Donald said...

Wow, what a great prize. Books are where its at.

::lindsay said...

Awesome! We'd love that prize around here too.

Jodi said...

Are you enjoying "Twilight"? I'm guessing that's why there hasn't been a new post for awhile... ;)