February 6, 2008

My Grass is Green, Too


Lately I have been cursed with "the grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome. I can sit back and compare my life to others and think,"Well, aren't they lucky", or "They look so happy", or "How does she juggle everything so flawlessly" ... I literally could go on and on. I don't know what this funk is all about and I am in NO WAY trying to get people to feel sorry for me, so instead of sitting in my pathetic, sorrowful, pit of despair, I have decided to list a few things that make MY grass green. This list is for me as reminders, not for you to compare to, please.



  • I am a wife and a mother. I know this sounds basic but it's a blessing that some don't get to experience in this life. I am in NO WAY trying to rub this fact in anyone's face, I'm trying to remind myself that this is a blessing.

  • I have a good-looking, hard-working, capable husband. He loves me. He loves our children. He does the best that he knows how in order to take care of us. He makes sure we have everything we need. We don't have to want for anything, he makes sure we get it. He honors his priesthood. He testifies of Christ. He's an example to us, his coworkers, his acquaintances. He's a wonderful husband and father. I am so lucky to have him to share my life with. I love him.

  • My children are healthy. I had fairly easy pregnancies with minor complications - nothing devastating. They are bright, beautiful, sweet children with desires to do what is right. I just have to teach them the way they should go and pray they won't depart from it. My children give me purpose and daily breath. They are my life's work.

  • I am a great preschool teacher. I run a fun and educational preschool where the children feel happy and safe. There are other great preschools out there, too. I am fully aware of that. If you don't choose to enroll your sweet child in my preschool, I promise not to take it personally. Please do what you think is best for you and your child.

  • I have complete knowledge and understanding of what my purpose on this earth is. I know where I came from, I know my ultimate goal, I know that my Heavenly Father is cheering for me the entire way. I'm grateful for this knowlege. I know some people will never have this understanding in their earthly life and what a blessing it is.

  • I come from an amazing family. I learned everything I ever needed to know from them. I love my parents dearly. I adore my siblings, their spouses, and their children. Families are forever and mine are ALWAYS there for me. I feel so lucky to have my family. I love them.

  • I have the greatest friends. It's such an awesome feeling to know there are so many people outside of my family that support me. They understand me. They help in ways that I can never repay. They call, they invite, they support. I love them.

Look at this amazing list! See, my grass IS green! I just needed a few reminders. I love this life with all it's unexpected turns, occasional surprises, heartbreaking defeats and numerous accomplishments. Life is great.


Note to self: Never feel inadequate. Never sit in judgement of others. Never compare. Always remember Heavenly Father gives you what you can handle. To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

28 comments:

Chris said...

I think Jeff is pretty hot too.

Jan said...

Oh Kim, if you feel this way, then what hope do I have. You could be that girl that everyone says "how does she do it". So in a way it is comforting to know that everyone feels the same way. The grass always look greener. But were all just trying are best. You have ALOT to be grateful for indeed.

Sara said...

Kim,
You always have been so pulled together and had the perfect everything. You have really "green grass" :) I have to remember to be grateful as well it is something that takes a life time to perfect.
Sara Spencer

Ms. Kristen said...

Thanks for the insight! I needed to hear some of those things! And the song goes along with your message so well!
Let me know if your brother gets those letters...the kids keep asking about it!

Shayla said...

I have to agree with Jan, you're one of those I wish I could be a bit more like. :-) It's nice to know we all have these feelings now and then. Oh, and you are an AWESOME preschool teacher, we couldn't have asked for a better one for Natie this year. Last night we saw Miss Michelle at the McDonalds Teacher night, but Natie was so disappointed that Miss Kim wasn't there too. She said, "but Miss Kim is my best teacher, where is she?" :-) She didn't quite get that it was just a teacher night for Kenzie's school.

Marilyn said...

Great reminders that we all need to consider. Thanks.

Kris said...

Kim, I'm always wondering how people can do everything that is going on in their lives, and still remain normal. Thanks for the reminder that we do have green grass wherever we go! Oh and by the way, you are awesome and very talented, and you are always thinking of others! I really respect that!

Kris said...

Oh and my kids loved clicking on Brady's Theme Song of Pokemon. They are huge fans too!

Kristi said...

Kim, what a great way to defeat your despair -- by listing your blessings! It seems as though you were able to don a pair of the goggles we look through as we see you. I hope you can keep them on! Whenever I see or talk with you, I always come away impressed at how dynamic and talented you are. And I love your family. It's nice to have a reminder that you're human, too. :-)

dandee said...

I'm going to make may list...

dandee said...

my list.

behka said...

Kim,
This is a post every woman needs to read and then write our own list of green. Thank you for sharing your greatest blessings, what is most important to you, and your faith. It was very uplifting to read. You have a beautiful family, its so fun to see you all.:)

Sarah said...

Kim, the first time I met you, you left the best impression on me. You were so friendly and easy to talk to. You made sitting through dance class a lot more fun! We all have a lot to be thankful for and you reminded me of that with this post. I compare myself way too much to other people and don't always take into consideration their circumstances.

Nancie said...

Kim, I don't know you super well...yet, but I loved your post about losing all your weight. What a blessing not only for health reasons- but because the simple fact of doing it, is something that is so incredibly hard for others (me). That shows you are a STRONG, TALENTED, PERSISTANT woman. I envy that.

::lindsay said...

Kim, you are awesome! I think we all tend to do the "grass is greener" thing every once in awhile. I loved reading about all your blessings though. You DO have a great family and are a wonderful wife, mother, and friend. You've always been a good friend to me!

Debie Spurgeon said...

I loved reading of your blessings, I've been inspired to consider mine. I'll start with telling my kids they are my biggest blessing. Thanks for the reminder.

Alicia Leppert said...

I love to read posts like this, because I always feel like I am the only one who lives my life comparing myself to others and constantly coming up short. It's so hard not to do, but it always shocks me when the people I compare myself to show their insecurities and feelings of inadequacy, it helps me to realize everyone feels this way and even those people who seem so perfectly put together have their struggles. I love that you turned it into something so positive...something I have such a hard time doing! You are the best.

susie said...

I'm in my own funk right now. I always think it's odd that we all think everyone else has it all figured out, but none of us really do! Thanks for the post!

S. Schuller said...

I am so glad you wrote this post. I am in the same slump right now and it is nice to know that the girl who I feel has it all together flawlessly is feeling a little down too. Not to be glad that you're feeling that way, but you know what I mean. Have a great day!

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Ok, I'm glad you put the part in about sister in laws! So we're over the scuffs in your floor? :) You know we love you too!

Jessica said...

What a great post. I am constantly thinking this way, I need to list my blessings more often! Thanks for the reminder!

tharker said...

Your grass is very green indeed. Thank you for doing this Kim.

I think that as women, we are all so prone to comparing ourselves. But I especially think that for some reason, as women in the church, we may do it even more. Does that make sense? It's so hard not to get caught in the SuperWoman syndrome, and not compare ourselves to those other amazing women around us. I do it. We all do it.

One of my favorite things about reading your blog, is that I can totally hear your voice in your words. You do such a great job of conveying your feelings through the computer.

Thank you for the great reminder to look at our own grass and appreciate it more.

meohmyers said...

Wow, thanks everyone for all your feedback!! This is exactly what I mean when I say I have the greatest friends. I appreciate all your kind words and seeing this on the same page as me. It's validating and it's important to me. So, thanks everyone.

Nicole said...

OK, your brother totally cracks me up! I'm so glad you're feeling validated. It's hard to not compare yourself to others and see their grass as being greener, isn't it? I always have to remind myself that I see what I look for. So, if I look for the positive, that's what I will see. And, vice versa.

Hang in there. Spring is right around the corner, and your grass will just keep getting greener;)

Brenda said...

Kim, you inspire me and have since I met you in my driveway. From that day you have made me feel like a someone here in this place I knew nothing of. Thank you for that. You are someone that always looks beyond yourself to selflessly help others, even when you are down. Look at this, your post helped so many just feel better. I don't know how you do it! Thanks neighbor for putting things in perspective for ME too!

P.S. Colton ADORES you and Landon can't wait to go to MISS KIM'S Preschool... You have helped my little boy grow up in so many ways that I couldn't...

Lisa Christine said...

I am glad that we got to meet at the luncheon and that I ran into you tonight at Chico's. I see that you are a very talented, and "lucky" woman. Keep looking at the glass half full....life is filled with blessings!

Leslie Garbanati said...

Kim-Thanks for your beautiful thoughts. I have been longing for the grass on the other side lately. While my trials are different than anyone elses, I know that they are mine and I have to accept them. Thanks for putting my heart and mind into perspective! Thanks for your love, thoughts and prayers. Keep em coming...Mason is doing pretty good and that's all I ask.
Love,
Leslie

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kim for helping me to see that my grass is green too. I've struggled with that a lot since number 3 was born and I too am trying to remember that my grass is green and that I am so lucky to be me and to have what I have! We truly are blessed and loved!