December 28, 2007

Shameless, That's Right!

I really hope some of you out there can relate to this. If not, please don't tell me I'm the only one. I don't want to know!


So, we've tried countless times to read the Book of Mormon as a family. So many times that we practically have 1 Nephi chapter 1 memorized. We get going, read a few more chapters, then next thing you know it's fizzled out. Again. I know, I am ashamed! A year later we'll try again. Gotta love that first chapter in 1 Nephi! I don't know why but it never stuck! The habit I mean! We couldn't keep it going!


I know I've said this numerous times before, but we're going to do it this time!!! We are, and I mean it!! Do you know how I know this time will be different? Here are my reasons:




  • We haven't missed a day of reading yet and we started on December 4th.

  • We read a chapter a day and all take turns reading. We currently have 4 1/2 readers in our family. All the readers want to take a turn and don't feel forced to read.

  • We're on 2 Nephi 12 - waaaaaaaaaaaay past 1 Nephi 1!!!

  • My oldest child practically drags us out of bed at 6:20am to get started reading. We're not doing the dragging out of bed! Love it!!!

  • We actually have more than 2 people in our family with an attention span longer than a 2 year old!!

  • We're using these to help us get through the Isaiah chapters.

  • Last but not least, here's our motivation:




That's right. A little motivation doesn't hurt anyone. This is the gas money we're collecting for our 10 day trip to California the weekend after we finish reading the Book of Mormon!! Seeing as how we've never been to Cali as a family, and seeing as how we've never read the Book of Mormon together as a family, the two seem to make a perfect fit. Jeff has already arranged through his 4 day weekends here and there plus his mandatory 1 weekday off each week for a 10 day vacation the 3rd weekend of July and only has to take 3 days of PTO!! Even better is the fact that on this reading schedule we'll finish the Book of Mormon on July 16 and leave for our trip on the 18th! Don't worry, we're a little ahead of schedule. We read more than 1 chapter a day if we can squeeze it in.

What I love most about this is the gospel discussions this habit is getting us into. My kids are pretty sharp but I love that they understand what we're reading!!! They are explaining things to us in their own words and they are getting it!!! My favorite scripture so far that we've read - and there have been plenty to choose from - is this: 2 Nephi 4:5. Lehi is counseling his grandchildren before he dies and says:

"...for behold, I know that if ye are brought up in the way ye should go
ye will not depart from it."

This is my motiviation!! I pray that my children will always stay on the right path holding tight to the iron rod. I have got to do my part in raising them the best and most righteous way that I know how. This has become a scary world where our children are growing up and we can't waste any more time.

So there you have it! Check in on me, I promise we'll still be reading! And if you haven't started yourself, now's a good time to start! Maybe we'll see you in Cali, too!

16 comments:

Sarah said...

You are awesome, and yes I can totally relate. We've started and stopped many times as well. Our problem is finding a consistent time when we can all be together. Usually that's around bed time but I'll shamefully admit sometimes I'm too tired. You've got me motivated though. It's good to have family goals!

meohmyers said...

You read this just as I was trying to fix all the kinks in it! Is blogger screwing up anyone else's posts? That was frustrating!!

Alicia Leppert said...

This is so awesome. We have also been yo-yo readers. And it's always my kids that are the ones to remind us! This is good motivation for us to start again, knowing it can be done.

P.S. When (and HOW) did you do this new layout?! I've never seen anything like it, it's amazing!

Heather said...

That is great to have a goal! Yay Myers. PS did you get my message a few weeks ago??

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
meohmyers said...

Nope. What message? If you left it with my husband, he hardly relays all of them. If you left it on my machine, well the kids get to it first and fail to tell me about them. Sorry!

Marilyn said...

Way to go for your family! Sticking to it is the hardest part for our family too. We are so hit and miss! The motivation trip is a really great idea. My brain is spinning ideas. Thanks.

Kris said...

Way to go Kim. That is so exciting and I'm very impressed. Yeah, I think we've all read 1 Nephi a ton of times!

tharker said...

Great job Myers fam! I can't think of a better goal.

We tried for years to read as a family, but it never stuck until Pres. Hinkley's challenge two years ago. We are now in 2nd Nephi on our 3rd time through the Book of Mormon. The kids love the feeling every time we finish.

Reading consistantly as a family has definitely brought about the most drastic changes in our family. I can see the physical and spiritual differences in our kids' behaviors (and our own as parents) when we are not so on the ball with our reading.

Because we were so hit and miss for so long, I never had really gained a testimony of the importance of family scripture study. But after doing it regularly for the last two years, I can say that I finally understand why it is SO important for our families. I know now that reading together and studying together is what will protect our children from all that's out there.

Okay, my personal testimony meeting is now over! ;)

You're awesome for sticking with this Kim and Jeff. I love that your schedule of finishing matches up perfectly with your trip to California! Great, great motivation indeed!

dandee said...

You are teaching your children such a valuable lesson! Can I be a stow away on your trip?

meohmyers said...

Thanks for all your support ladies! It really is a great feeling!

And Tharker!!!! I loved your comment! That's exactly what I'm hoping to get in return! I want my children to FEEL the difference both spiritually and physically when we read the scriptures. So far ... well, we'll keep doing it anyway. I know after seeing all these light bulbs going on in their heads that hopefully after 2 or more years they'll notice it, too. I don't want them to remember anything different. I know it's so important especially while they're young and so willing to do this as a family. It's an important habit I hope we'll never break and imperative in planting their little testimonies.

I almost wrote "And I say these things..." :)

Maren said...

Kym,
What an amazing gift your are giving your children! Growing spiritually & learning as a family will strength your already strong family unit!
I stumbled upon your blog after receiving your Christmas letter.
I can't believe that my bf from high school is only a town away & it has been 4 years since I have seen you...
Lets get together soon!!
Maryn
http://zanynotcrazy.blogspot.com/

Jessica said...

Kim this is so great! We have read the BOM one time as a family and are almost up to the second time. I can say ditto to everything Tiffani said. When we miss a day life is so much harder!!!

Ms. Kristen said...

I love your incentive! I want to keep and continue the same goal! I grew up in Cali and wish I could go there more often!

Heather said...

Kim... ok. I've left a couple on the machine but now I know you aren't avoiding me!

susie said...

Way to go, Kim!!! We have finished it once...it just took us like a year and a half and we so need to get back into it. It is so hard to find a consistent time. Glad you're doing so great!!!