Here's a side view of it. You can see the image is flat as a pancake but was able to stand on it's own.
Here's how I did it:
Supplies: a picture of the image you want to make, wax paper, disposable frosting bags, vanilla or chocolate flavored wafers in the colors you want to use - found in the cake decorating aisle, and a microwave.
- Take the image and tape it to a piece of wax paper with the wax paper on top.
- Melt your wafers in a disposable frosting bag in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time - squishing the bag until it's the consistency of thick frosting. Only one color at a time. Do not overheat!!
- I outlined the image first in chocolate. So using the melted chocolate wafers I cut the tip of the frosting bag and just outlined the image right on the wax paper.
- Next, using one color at a time, fill in the rest of the image with the appropriate colors, just like a coloring page.
- Store in the freezer or airtight container until you're ready to use it. It hardens really fast though.
That's it! I made the balloons (without the strings) using the same method to put on the outside of the cake.
When it was time to put the cake together, the edible Elmo was too big to fit on the top lying flat with the words so I broke the head off of the body and stuck his arm in the cake making it look 3D. Everytime Maddie saw it she kept pointing to it and saying "Memo! Memo!" I think she liked it!
I can't believe she's 2 already. It's so crazy to me that she is totally this little girl now. Where'd my baby go?! She's talking and carrying on these little conversations with us, making decisions, holding her own. We're so lucky to have her as a part of our family. We love you Madster!
HAPPY 2nd BIRTHDAY MADDIE!!
14 comments:
That cake is 100% ADORABLE Kim! You did such a great job. I love that even some of the letters are backwards like Elmo would write them.
Great, great job!
Where did you get the candles! So cute! You did a great job! I have never heard of doing it that way! Cool! Where did you find that idea at?
Happy Preschool week to you! We are learning the letter W and talking about winter! Should we meet this thurs. for lunch? Sorry about last thurs. I was decorating for an old 3rd ward party! Thanks! And hope to get together this week.
How was the shrunken 6th ward?
Kim, this cake turned out great! I love it! You are so creative! It's crazy to think that Maddie is now 2. That means Porter is just a month behind! Looks like you had a great Birthday party!
The cake is adorable! You did a really good job on it. She looks like she loved it.
That is a great idea, and seems so simple. I love it. Thanks for sharing!
That turned out great, did you use colorflow?
You are amazing, Kim!!! Amazing! Looks so much fun!
That is such a fun cake! I can imagine how excited Maddie was, what kid wouldn't be with a cake like that. Happy Birthday to Maddie, hope she has a good year being 2!
The cake is awesome. You are so talented with cakes. I could never do this. (You witnessed my only attempt at it.) I'm so glad Maddie had a great birthday. I can't believe she's 2 either!!!
Wow, such a creative idea!! I've got to try it. Happy b-day Maddie! She is really a cutie.
It turned out great, Kim! I'm glad it worked so easily for you. I was thinking about you all weekend and wondering if it came together as easily as the websites said it would. Maddie looks adorable and oh, so happy. The lettering looks too cute and those candles are so fun!
Ohhh I am so glad I DIDN'T find my pan for you! Your cake turned out so adorable!!! You did such a great job! Way to be creative! I love it and I love the look on her face, so cute!
You're a great mom! Love the cake, you are so talented!
Happy Birthday Maddie!
Okay, I'm going to have to try this method next time. Your cake looks GREAT! You are so talented. What a lucky family!
Post a Comment