August 21, 2007

Can You Spot the Major Difference in These 2 Pictures?



I know, it may be hard to tell at first.

Keep looking.

Do you know what it is?

That's right!

Her front teeth!

So here's the story.

Last Thursday, Maddie was in the tub in my bathroom. She was all done bathing and just playing in the water. She LOVES her bath and hates to get out. So I let her play while I was getting ready. She decided to climb onto the ledge of the tub and was just about to jump back in when her slippery feet gave way and she landed on the side of the tub face first!

She was bleeding like crazy and I couldn't tell where all the blood was coming from. She wouldn't let me get my fingers in her mouth to get a good look and I could hardly get her to let me keep the towel on her mouth to catch all the blood. I needed another set of hands to help me so we drove to Jeff's work and called him out to the parking lot to meet us. He helped give her Tylenol and was looking in her mouth. We could tell that the teeth were pushed up and in and one was chipped but thought she'd be okay.

We stayed for lunch - the cafeteria at Kadlec is awesome - and finished our errands and went home. I put Maddie down for her nap and when she woke up 4 hours later, I hardly recognized her! She had a little monkey mouth! Her top lip was so swollen and hanging over her bottom lip! I couldn't even see her teeth when she smiled! Jeff was home from work and we saw the inside of her mouth really good. The inside of her top lip was pitch black, it was so bruised. Her frenum that attaches the lip to the gums was ripped and it looked like she had split her gums, too.

We called our dentist, Sam, who was out of town and after lots of phone calls, got a hold of Sam's brother, Adam, who's also a dentist. He came right over. He was so good with her! He played with her on his lap in the lawn and got her to trust him. He got his thumb in her mouth and pushed the 2 front teeth forward as best as he could. He of course couldn't pull them back down and said he could put a filling on the chipped tooth when she gets older and is a little more cooperative. He said it's possible she may have "killed" these teeth and they may discolor over time but luckily they're only baby teeth and will be replaced. Atleast she didn't knock them out! Poor baby! Her smile is not like it was before but it's still cute nonetheless.

So I was wondering. Should I call CPS myself and turn myself in? I know I'm winning for worst mother of the year award. Does anyone have that phone number?

15 comments:

tharker said...

Oh poor Maddie! I am always so nervous when my kids are climbing out of the bathtub, it's my fear that they will slip and do this very thing! I'm so glad that Adam was able to come over and help. Isn't he so great? Good thing that these are her baby teeth. And you're right, she still looks absolutely adorable!

meohmyers said...

Chris - do you remember why I don't really like this song? It sends chills up my spine in a bad way but it was perfect for this post!

Sarah said...

That's too bad. That had to hurt in a major way. Hopefully everything's ok. She is still cuter than cute no matter what.

Jessica said...

Poor thing! Tia hit her front teeth on the back porch at about that age, samething, ripped her frenum, pushed her teeth back, they turned brown. Whenever she smiled I felt like a horrible mother! But then like 6 months later they turned white again. Her dentist discribed it as a bruise on her teeth, it just takes a lot longer to heal! It's funny to look at her pictures when she had brown teeth.
I hope she heals quickly, you do have some very back luck lately!

Chris said...

At first, I thought the picture on the right was Brady as a baby in girl clothes.

Yes Kim, I remember why you don't like this song. It was playing on the radio during your first kiss with Nguyen Nguyen, um, I mean when you got in your car wreck.

PRP said...

Ouch! Poor girl. Glad to see she's still smiling though.

I bet Tiffani has that number....give her a call...:)

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

I think your kids all just have really heavy heads so they splat harder! Is she on a popsicle diet? Bet that makes up for some of it.

meohmyers said...

Julie, Maddie has eaten so many popsicles since this incident that she can now ask for them by name! Her "poppo" was perfect to get the swelling to go down!

Kris said...

Kim, what a terrible thing to happen to Maddie! I noticed something different about her teeth, but I couldn't figure out what! I hope she feels better soon and you are right, her smile is still so cute!!

::lindsay said...

Yikes! That's horrible. I'm glad to see she will be okay. Thank goodness they are just her baby teeth.

Marilyn said...

I'm sure you're not in the running for worst mother, but you do deserve a break after all these accidents.

susie said...

Wow, Kim! I'm speechless! I'm glad she's okay. That sounds horrible. Thank goodness they're baby teeth! You seriously deserve something for dealing w/ all these accidents...a day at the spa maybe? And...you kissed Nguyen Nguyen? I don't know if I ever knew that or if I just forgot! Ahhh...the good ol' days!

Heather said...

Oh my! Poor Maddie.

As sad as that is I'm totally intrigued by Nguyen Nguyen...do tell.

Anonymous said...

Don't call CPS...I'll just come get them!! :) It makes my stomach hurt just re-reading the telling you gave me!!That poor little girl!! She will probably end up looking like Brock, who still does not have front teeth!! :)

Alicia Leppert said...

Okay, I leave for a week and Maddie alters her entire appearance? What's up with that? I cannot believe that story. I have to agree with Tiffani, I cringe every time my kids get in and out of the bath for this very reason. I could tell instantly something was weird with her teeth but couldn't figure out how they'd be smaller so I thought it was the angle of the picture. That is awful. Oh, the phone call to CPS? Done. ;)