- Personal Notes: A note from a child expressing thanks and/or demonstrating skills learned in the classroom. I have several prized student notes posted to my computer monitor years after my students have graduated. The mugs their classmates gave me had only a fraction of this shelf life. A heartfelt, handwritten student note is an educator's most valuable currency.
- Joke Books: I start off each day with a joke, but any teacher likes to have school and age-appropriate jokes handy! One former student customized a list of jokes she got off the internet solely for my classes and I still use it to this day.
- Framed Student Art: I proudly display the framed clippings about me that students created, glued, and put under glass. It helps future students understand more about me as a person, and it also sends the signal that I value student work!
- Home cooking: Over the years I've packed on the pounds as a result of goodies made for me by my students. Parents have also made special lunches for me and dropped it off during the day to say thanks. Still, there's only so much fruit cake a person can handle...
- Quotes, poems or songs about teaching: Teachers love having time-tested quotes about learning at their fingertips. Compile a list of the best and present them in poster or booklet form.
- Parent coupons: Offer to share your talents/expertise with the class! Teachers are always looking for ways to work with parents and use your collective skilles to educate their classes.
- Plants: There's nothing that dresses up a classroom like a room full of low-maintenance plants! It's the gift that keeps on giving, and it makes for a fantastic atmosphere in which your children will learn. I got a flowering hyancith bulb one year that kept my students fascinated for months.
- Donations in a teacher's name: I am still touched by one student's donation to the Adopt-a Pet foundation in my name. (I am famous for bragging about my 2 cocker spaniels)
- Gift Certificates: Teachers usually end up spending much of their own money on their students anyway, so each five or ten dollar certificate means a lot! Consider the usual suspects: bookstores, office supply stores, video rental stores, or local restaurants that can supply food for class parties.
- Teacher Supply Box: We can never get enough anti-bacterial soap, tissues, pens, colored pencils, markers, glue, tape, scissors, air fresheners, fans, notepads, construction paper, etc.
- Books: Regardless of the subject, teachers are always on the lookout for discipline-specific books that use humor, games, etc. Inscribe the front page with a dedication to your teacher (or donate to your school/public library in their name)
- Plan a Party: Whether it be for teachers or for your child's class, it's nice for someone else to take over the planning once in a while!
- Order a magazine/newspaper for class: Again, a gift that keeps on giving and directly benefits every student! Even better, most schools already plan a magazine drive of some sort during the school year.
- Jar of Treats: Let's face it, we say they're for the kids but they're also for us!
- Board Games: There are so many incredible ways to challenge students with games that are specific to each discipline, yet many of us can't find the time or funds to get them for our classes!
So after taking all these ideas into consideration, this is what we came up with:
I asked each of the teachers what their favorite colors were. Mrs. Andersen's is pink, Mrs. Fort's is yellow, (Miss Cathy's is green and Miss Terry's is red but the last day of preschool was last Thursday and we delivered their baskets to them already.) With their favorite colors I was able to pick out linen napkins to sew the lining of the basket with and pick patterned paper to modge podge their initials with. Then I asked my kids to draw their teachers a picture that we would put in a frame that they painted. I compiled a bunch of quotes on education and teachers that I put in a little book, and made three goodie bags - one chocolate, one sweet, and one salty. Then threw in some initial post-it notes. Lastly, the kids wrote a thank-you note to their teacher to put in the basket.
I think they turned out really cute. I don't do this every year but thought this was an exception since my kids will never see them again. We've had these teachers in some way or another for 2, 3, and 4 years! Love them!
I hope these ideas will spark your creative juices so you can also come up with a thank-you for your child's teacher. They really are amazing people, aren't they?
11 comments:
Those baskets are amazing Kim! Your teachers will love them!
What great ideas! They really do look amazing. I am usually one to go with gift certificates, but I just might have to step it up a notch!
Great ideas Kim. This is helping me realize how much I do appreciate Tyler's Teacher this past year. Thanks for the great ideas and giving me the hint to do something nice. I really appreciate it! I know your teachers will love what you've done for them!!
You are so creative and thoughtful. Good idea to have your kids add something of thier own too. Don't you wish everyone could have a great teacher that made them love coming to school everyday?
Cute ideas Kim. Thanks for the reminder.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for the ideas. I was seriously clueless, but this really helped. Your baskets turned out amazing. You never fail to impress me with your creativity and craftiness!!
P.S. What is the Target Coupon Code on your blog with the numbers above it?
Hey Kim, that was my family that was in that mini-van driving in the theater's parking lot tonight. Jack saw your husband and said, "That guy looks familiar." I told him that it was you guys and then we waved. Did you go see Shrek the Third? Was it good? I'm dying to know! Anyway, that was our gang that waved to your husband tonight. Hope you had a good FHE!
As a former teacher myself, I agree with all of those gift ideas. I can't tell you how many mugs I have tucked away on the top shelf in our kitchen cabinets. I also can't tell you how many notes or pictures I saved from my students.
Alicia - the numbers above the target coupon code are how many times my blog page has been uploaded or viewed. It's a stat counter. I just keep changing it's theme. The Target Coupon Code is a sponsor for the free stat counter. You can click on that link and get a coupon from Target.
Kristen - Jeff told me he saw someone in the parking lot that waved to him but he wasn't sure who you guys were. So this explains it! We actually saw Pirates 3 tonight for FHE - not one I'd recommend seeing with young children! Cameron is obsessed with all things Pirates of the Carribbean and couldn't wait to see it but I thought it was pretty violent and a little hard to follow. He loved it though. Luckily, Ally and Maddie slept through most of it! We saw Shrek 3 last weekend and absolutely loved it!! Definitely one to see in the theater and one to own when it comes out on DVD.
Well...I went the easy route and did a gift certificate at a local teacher supply store. It was delivered in an envelope with their name on it...and it in NO WAY resembled anything as cute and fun as yours!!! But, I hope they liked it!
Post a Comment