July 7, 2008

Weeding Lessons

DID YOU KNOW:

That a praying mantis will bite your finger if you keep torturing it, even after you've lovingly given him the name of Mantis Squarepantis, telling him you'll take care of him forever?
Lesson learned Brady.



That an earwig is impossible to crush with your flip flop no matter how hard or how many times you think you're squishing it? They are literally unsquishable while wearing flip flops.

Lesson learned Ally.

That you can still be stung by a wasp while wearing rubber gardening gloves? Yes, the stinger goes through the rubber and can still sting your hand underneath.

Lesson learned me.


We hope these lessons are valuable to you while weeding your own gardens! We've definitely learned a lesson or two!

18 comments:

tharker said...

Oh bugs. I hate them! Last week Josh literally walked into a flying Wasp and got stung! It got him just under his bottom lip, so his lip was swollen for hours. Even though it hurt, he thought his fat lip was pretty cool!

And I did not know that about earwigs. Those things creep me out!

Sara said...

Great lesson's learned!

The Donald said...

I hate wasps. Every year I officially declare war on any wasp I see. I love it when I capture them in my traps, and go up to watch them die a slow death.

Too bad they drew first blood on me this year. I was either bitten or stung my one at the lake. It is ok though, I will get even...and then some!

p.s. DonSalsa will be coming to you most likely on Wednesday!

Jodi said...

Ewwwww!! I think praying mantises are creepy!! Even ones named Mantis Squarepantis. ;) Very cute Brady! Thanks for your lessons learned -- hopefully it'll help us avoid similar situations.

Lisa Christine said...

That is why I am an 'indoor' kind of girl :)

Brenda said...

I have found two solutions to those pesky problems: 1: Have 3 boys and teach them that bugs are cool (then they learn all the lessons for me) 2: Don't weed the garden. (It doesn't really hurt anything to have weeds in the garden when you haven't planted any veggies yet!)

Sarah said...

I hate all bugs and insects. It totally grosses me out when Kendle plays with them. Getting stung by a wasp is no fun either. When Kendle was a baby I went out to our mailbox to get the mail and a whole swarm of wasps came after us and stung me in the arm. I was just glad they didn't get her.

Kris said...

Thanks for the tips Kim. I've never been stung by a bee and I'd like to keep it that way.

Debie Spurgeon said...

I had no idea that praying mantis's bit. Every time we see one I tell my kids that they are the nicest bugs and won't hurt you AT ALL.
We have a major earwig infestation on Road 80, yuck!

Chris said...

We stumbled upon about 10 baby praying mantids (I had to look up the plural form of mantis) last time we weeded. They were so small, they hadn't even turned green yet. They were white. Owen thought it was the coolest thing in the world. He carried them around on the pulled weeds.

Amy J. said...

So what is Cameron learning this summer?

Shayla said...

Mantis Squarepantis, too funny! We have the same earwig problem over here, they're everywhere!

Kristi said...

That was very edutaining! Cute play on words w/the title. I've always hated earwigs - part of it goes way back to my nightmares from The Wrath of Khan Star Trek movie that I was forced to watch when I was a kid. I suspect they are related to cockroaches. I thought I killed an earwig the other day, and then it popped up and started scurrying away again! (A similar thing happened to Michael and me with a cockroach when we moved to San Antonio.) As for wasps, I keep hoping my luck will last the remainder of my life -- I've never been stung and would like to keep it that way.

Alicia Leppert said...

Lisa, was that a Titanic reference?

Kim, this was so cute. I LOVED Brady's name for the P.M.! Hilarious. So sad it ended up biting him.
I have a serious fear/hatred of earwigs dating back to a traumatic experience I had as a kid...putting on my swimming suit that had been drying on the clothes line and feeling something on my chest and looking and lo and behold...an earwig staring back at me. I screamed and stripped down buck naked in our driveway. (I was like, 6)

I can't believe you got stung through a rubber glove! Curse all the bugs!!

Amy said...

Tonight as I grabbed my flip-flop to squash an earwig, I totally paused and thought, "Ugh! I hope this works." Three HUGE whacks later and the sucker was finally done for. At least I had been forewarned and made sure I put some real force into it!

Nicole said...

So, I totally thought of you as I encountered all three of these creatures as we weeded today. I think my yard is rolly polly heaven btw. And, we let the little mantids go happily on their way. Luckily the earwigs were out by the street - do you think they will stay there?

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Kind of disgusting, but i guess you have to learn the lessons somehow. I loved your 4th pictures especially the kid launchers!