July 22, 2008

Say What?

Recent conversation with my PCP last Friday:

Dr. P: So how long have you been having these symptoms?
Me: For a couple of months now, but, yesterday the pain worsened, I couldn't breathe normally without this sharp stabbing pain in my sternum - I could only take shallow breaths, I couldn't look up or twist to the sides without the sharp stabbing pain, I couldn't reach for anything without the pain and when I couldn't even lift a full bottle of saline solution to take out my contacts without the sharp stabbing pain in my sternum, I figured I should come in and get this checked. It was so painful this morning I thought I was about to pass out or throw up.
Dr. P: Do you remember having any injury or blunt trauma to the chest?
Me: No, not at all.
Dr.P: Take a deep breath.
Me: (suffering through his request)
Dr.P: Does it hurt when I push here? (He's pressing on all sides of my sternum and was able to re-create the pain while just pushing on the left side.)
Me: Yes! Right there. (on the left)
Dr. P: Sounds to me like you've got Costochondritis.
Me: I've got what?
Dr. P: Costochondritis. It's an inflammation of the joint where the ribs meet the sternum.
Me: How did that happen?
Dr. P: Well, since you weren't injured there or it wasn't caused by any trauma, I'd have to say the cause is "Mommy Trauma".
Me: "Mommy Trauma"?
Dr. P: Yes, it's just from the constant lifting, carrying, everyday over-exertion from all of your "Mommy Chores". You have a toddler, right?
Me: Yes.
Dr. P: You have got to take it easy for the next 2 weeks. I'm putting you on a high dose of an anti-inflammatory. If you keep straining this joint, it won't heal properly. I have a patient who suffers from Chronic Costochondritis and it is no fun. Please refrain from any strenuous exercise, lifting your toddler, or any over-exertion for the next 2 weeks.
Me: I'll do my best. (This will be IMPOSSIBLE!!!)

FYI: the 1000mg / day of Naproxen is working wonders! I feel great. I only feel the pain with extreme stretching or strenuous activity which I'm truly trying to avoid. But someone still has to do the "Mommy Chores" around here!



Fast Forward to yesterday's conversation with my dentist:

Dr. H: So have there been any changes with your teeth since our last visit that I should know about?
Me: Yes, actually. I have this molar, the last one on the bottom left that is hot and cold sensitive, sugar sensitive, and literally zings when I chew on that side. (Which is ALL the time since I only chew on my left side!)
Dr. H: Sounds like a cavity. Let me take a look.
Me: A CAVITY?! But I've never had a cavity in my life! Don't you know how old I am? I'm too old for my first cavity!
Dr. H: Open wide. Let's see. Yep. That's a cavity all right.
Me: Reee? Ii iy? I nge ha a caee, e-uh! (Open mouth with hand in mouth translates to: Really? It is? I've never had a cavity, ever!)
Dr. H: Then it's about time, isn't it! I don't feel sorry for you at all. I've had 3 crowns already! (Getting a good laugh out of this.) See you next week for your first filling! Mwah ha ha ha!

So I can only draw one conclusion from these recent diagnosis. I am aging! My body is slowly starting to deteriorate! Things are starting to change. I sound so much older than I really am (kidneystones, pre-diabetic, symptoms related to PCOS). Next thing you know I'm going to need bi-focals and Depends! Atleast I still have my mind, right? Although somedays I feel like I'm losing that, too!

17 comments:

Heather said...

HA HA! Even though your body may be falling apart it's still looking showroom worthy. Getting old is no fun, and we aren't even THAT old.

Chris said...

Depends are great. Nothing compares to relieving yourself right in the middle of dinner or an important meeting.

Kris said...

Kim, this is a funny post. I've never had a cavity either, so I can imagine how traumatizing that news is. Your diagnosis of Costochondritis sounds like it hurts. I wonder if I've ever had that before. It makes sense with all the lifting that we as moms do. Glad you are feeling better. Good luck with the filling!

dandee said...

OUCH! Your poor body is going through the ringer! Sending you [young] healthy vibes... :)

Alicia Leppert said...

And this coming from the "poster child for skin cancer!" Seriously, Kim, I think you may actually be passing me up for things wrong with you!
LOVED the mwa ha ha ha.

Ms. Kristen said...

Gotta love the age thing! I told you the other day.....I am getting old! I am glad someone around here is feeling it too!
You are beautiful...and you hide your pain!

Brenda said...

Oh Kim! I am so glad I have a few more years before I am as old as you!:) All I have to suggest is "MILK IT" all you can! Are you sure that you weren't supposed to get any spa treatments to help you "take it easy?"

chris jenkins said...

i had to laugh a little because it sounds like i am going through some of those same things - in my mind i think i am younger than i am, but my body doesn't. LOL.

hope you heal and good luck with the dentist.

tharker said...

Aye-yi-yie! (I'm sure that's not how you spell that!) That's one awesome week for ya! And I love good old Dr. H's sympathy...I can completely hear him saying that...well both of them!

Debie Spurgeon said...

All I can say is thank goodness there are trained professionals to diagnose and treat pain. Being in pain is fo fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah said...

Hope you are feeling better, taking care of kids is hard work. My back is always sore from picking up kids. I agree with everyone else though, even if you're having aches and pains on the inside, you're still looking great on the outside.

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

See? This is why you party your brains out when you turn 40. So for just a couple of hours you can forget the reality of the sagging boobs and rotting teeth! You captured talking to the dentist so perfectly too. Why do they always try to have a dialogue with their whole fist jammed in your mouth?

Sara said...

You seriously have never had a cavity. I commend you for taking such excellent care of your teeth. All these year. :)

The Lassen Family said...

I had costochondritis earlier this year. They put me on a rx anti-inflammatory that had too many scary side effects, so I stopped taking it pretty quickly. It went away pretty quickly----but I FEEL your pain :) As for getting older, well at least you aren't menopausal---it's fabulous!!! (not!)
Dani (nicole's sister)

Jodi said...

I love your posts. You're so funny. I can't believe someone else has been diagnosed with costochondritis. Never heard of it. I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope your filling went well.

Leslie Garbanati said...

And so it goes...one day we are all of a sudden OLD! I am right on track (literally) with your aging pains. You aren't showing it a bit...I have discovered GREY HAIR and aching knees!

behka said...

You are hillarious! I can take it all but not so much on the depends...