July 15, 2008

the STP!


Jeff headed over to Seattle last Friday to be there in time to pick up his registration packet for his big race! He has been training for this ride for months now and the weekend was finally here! He was up at 3:15AM on Saturday to get to the starting line on time. He started the race at 5AM and would spend the next 14 hours on his bike, pedaling himself to the city of Portland. A mere 204 mile bike ride. I know. It's insane, isn't it? I get "bike bum" after 30 minutes on a bike. I can't imagine what my rear end would feel like after 14 hours! And honestly, I have no desire to find out.
While he was on his bike, I was at Brady's swim meet for 3 1/2 hours then we all headed down to meet him at the finish line in Portland. It took us a little over 3 hours to drive to his sister's house and then we headed over to the finish line. We were early and had to wait for his phone call telling us how far away he was and what time he thought he'd be there. He finally called and told us he was about an hour away. Luckily, the finish line was in a great park with these sprinklers. So this is what my kids did to kill some time! And I LOVE a good photo op with my kids!


It was 97 degrees in Portland and what a great way to cool off in that heat! Maddie saw the boys take their shirts off and thought that was what she was supposed to do, too. Thankfully she's only 2 and we can break her of that habit!

Yay! Here he comes! Crossing the finish line! We were at the end of this aisle where all the bikers had to come through and everyone was waiting to find their rider among the 9000 riders who entered the race! Everyone on the sides of the aisle were trying to high 5 the riders coming in! There were tons of people there and it was a little chaotic. Luckily, Jeff was in the front of this small group coming in and we saw him clearly!

Here he is being handed a "One Day Finisher" patch. You can choose to ride the 204 miles in one day or in two. Jeff likes to do it in one day, that way he's finished and doesn't have to hop back on his bike the following morning.


The kids of course are so proud of their Dad. Here he is after we were cheering for him while coming down that long aisle way. He's still standing and able to hold Maddie! His legs didn't feel like jello, yet. He told us a few things that happened while biking to Portland. His friend and co-worker fell while taking a corner and hurt his leg pretty bad. A 12 year old was biking in front of his dad who was right in front of Jeff while going across a bridge. The bikers had to stay in one line in order to not get hit by oncoming traffic. The 12 year old hit a rut and lost his water bottle, slammed on his brakes and nearly caused a huge bike pile-up. Jeff wasn't hurt, thankfully. He also at one point had to stop for a rider that fell unconscious and had to do a CPR check on him. Needless to say, Jeff wasn't racing for a record time, he just wanted to finish - alive and in one piece!

Maddie had prayed all weekend long that Daddy would be safe in his bike race! She was so glad to see him again!


Great job, Jeff! We're so proud of you! Although you're in such incredible shape to be able to handle this type of exertion, I still think you're a little crazy, I mean the notion of getting on a bike and riding for 14 hours straight just doesn't appeal to me. You're a STUD! You know we'll be there at the finish line waiting for you again next year. Let the training begin...AGAIN!

17 comments:

Heather said...

Maddie is a doll... and Jeff is amazing. I would love to do the STP one day. However, it would be a ONE TIME thing for me, not an annual event. Crazy Jeff.

Jodi said...

Oh my goodness! I totally got chills when I saw the picture of people high-fiving him. What an accomplishment - that's so awesome! I didn't realize he did it in one day. I can't even imagine. How was he walking the day after? That's usually when I feel "bike bum" (as you put it). And I didn't realize HE was the one that performed CPR. Two heroes in one family??? WOW! And I love the pictures of the kids in the water. Davis was asking, "Does Maddie have her shirt off?" while covering his eyes. And as far as breaking her habit of it, I'd do it soon. I tried to go shirtless until I was 7. :) Oh, BTW did you notice a little Jansport purse with the jerky? I forgot to take it out of one of the bags... It has Davis's money and he's worried.

Unknown said...

Wow! Kuddos to Jeff, I had no idea that is awesome to acomplish the STP! How fun for you to get to go to the finish line and enjoy the pride. The pictures are great!

Marilyn said...

Way to go Jeff! We were in Portland for the American Idol concert and stayed at the Doubletree next to the park where the finish line was and we saw lots of bikers who were walking very tenderly because 14 hours on a bike probably hurts pretty darn bad.

meohmyers said...

Jodi - I need to clarify. Jeff did not perform CPR on the unconscious guy because he was still breathing. But Jeff's the right guy for CPR! I'm glad he was there in case the guy needed it!

And yes, I spent Davis' money on gas. Tell him I'll pay him back. :) just kidding. I have it.

Sara said...

Way to go Jeff. I am glad I have some one to relate the joys of being a sideline cheering wife for our sport fanatic husbands.

Jessica said...

Wow! Way to go Jeff! That is amazing! I cannot even begin to imagine a 14 HOUR bike ride.....so amazing!

And I love all the pictures!

Amy J. said...

That is so amazing...both the pictures and the bike ride. :)
I love biking but that just sounds like pure torture to me.

Alicia Leppert said...

Wow, Jeff is a rock star. That is amazing. ALL day Saturday Bill kept saying, "Jeff has gone such and such amount of miles now." "Jeff is halfway done." "Can you believe Jeff has ridden so many miles by now?" It was killing him to not be doing it. Maybe next year. You rock Jeff!

Sarah said...

Amazing! That is so cool for your kids to be able to watch their dad accomplish such an awesome feat. I can't imagine riding a bike that far. The pictures of the kids are gorgeous too.

Chris said...

Forget Maddie not wearing a shirt. Let's focus on Jeff in those shorts. So sexy!

Brenda said...

Congrats to Jeff. I am impressed.

susie said...

my bum got sore reading this post!

Debie Spurgeon said...

I'm speechless really!! Way to go Jeff, congratulations.

Ms. Kristen said...

AMAZING!!!!!!!! He is a stud! That is a funny comment about the bike bum! Oooouch! Your kids have something big to be proud of!

Nicole said...

Awesome! I am so impressed! I don't think I could do anything for 14 hours. Congratulations Jeff!!!

Ryan said...

Hey Congrats to Jeff for finishing in the one day category. Boni's husband Barry and his dad do it, but they choose the 2-dayer.

I'm trying to get up the courage to start training for a future LOTOJA ride. My neighbor is the organizer and has been bugging me for a few years to try it. LOTOJA is Logan, UT to Jackson, WY, 206 miles and 10,000 verticle feet. I've started by riding to work occasionally. Though it's only 4 miles from my house so I gotta do quite a few trips in a row to actually call it training. Let's see that's about 26 round trips worth.

Still completing such an event is awesome, even with the saddle sores.