July 16, 2008

Portland Part 2

Since the STP fell on Jeff's 4-day weekend, we decided to spend a few days in Portland. We decided to forego the awesome zoo - did that last November - and venture off to do some hiking. Jeff's sister, Cheryl, and her husband, Jon, told us about Silver Falls State Park where we could have a picnic lunch, hike to some waterfalls, then let the kids wade around in the river. Sounded perfect! Little did we know it would be a breathtaking hike!

Enjoying our picnic lunch. Maddie's 2nd favorite to corn on the cob - Cheetos.

Starting our hike. What's a hike without walking sticks?

Maddie always gets the best seat in the house.

On our way to the South Falls.

Beautiful background, isn't it?

Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Jon, our ever so gracious hosts! Thanks, guys!

We made it! The trail actually went right underneath the falls and behind it! It was literally breathtaking.

I think this picture may make the Christmas collage this year.

You could also climb in the caves underneath the falls a little ways. My kids loved it!

In deep thought. I think he was a little mesmorized by the beauty of it all and was actually speechless for a moment!

The trail continues all the way around the falls in a huge circle. Great pictures from every angle!

You could also hike down into the pool where the falls empty into.

Oops, how'd this get in here? My view while hiking. Dang, Jeff! Look at those calves! You must bike or something.

I thought this was so funny. Maddie was plastering Jeff's hair straight down his forehead while we were hiking. She even has her little tongue sticking out in concentration.

The cutest girls ever.

We couldn't wait to cool off in the river at the end of our hike! It was so refreshing. I'll spare you the shirtless Maddie pictures but I thought this was a great one of Brady skipping a rock. He can be occupied for hours at a river with a bunch of rocks to skip.

My kids loved visiting Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Jon. They were so entertained with 3 dogs to play with. Made me think we need to get a dog. Then I quickly remembered why we got rid of our dog. Sorry, kids. I just don't do dogs. But we can always go visit our families with dogs! Anytime!

We had a great weekend in Portland! These pictures were only a small representation of our weekend. I know. I take way too many pictures! If you ever find yourself in Portland with some time to kill, head over to Silverton. You'll love it! The hike is kid friendly, the park is huge and well taken care of, and the scenery is beautiful. Gotta love the great Northwest!

17 comments:

dandee said...

We will definitley have to do that hike! It looked so beautiful!

What a fun family time!

::lindsay said...

Looks like you had a great weekend. Man, you managed to do so much during that short period of time!

tharker said...

I love all of the pictures from your weekend Kim. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous.

Way to go Jeff on the STP! That is amazing.

I think my favorite picture is of Cameron in deep thought. I just love the look on his face.

Brenda said...

I get more vacation ideas from your blog than anywhere else! You guys seem to have a lot of fun. Can't wait to visit those falls next time we are out to Portland!

Jessica said...

Wow that is beautiful! We are going to have to go there, I know my kids would love it too!

Great pictures, your kids are so adorable!

Sarah said...

That looks like a great way to spend the day with your family. Beautiful!

rip said...

Those falls really are beautiful! So is your family:)

Anonymous said...

Kim, I love the idea of going to this state park in Portland area for our wedding anniv! How far is the park from downtown Portland?
Lynelle C

Sara said...

What a beautiful hike. I love the family picture of you guys.

Nicole said...

That looks like so much fun! We'll have to keep that in mind next time we are in Portland!

Alicia Leppert said...

I have hiked this hike! I totally recognized the trail behind the waterfall, and then I realized that I was in Portland when I hiked it. I was in high school. Did you see a "weeping wall?" A side of the mountain that was constantly dripping with water? I thought that was so cool.
Glad you guys had such a great time. Again, fabulous pics.

Jodi said...

Okay, now I feel dumb...the reason I don't remember the pictures of the falls is because I hadn't seen them. I didn't know you had posted again. Duh!! Now I wonder what you and Teri were thinking about my comments today... Anyway, BEAUTIFUL pictures!!! Bennett was looking over my shoulder and said, "I want to go there." I guess we'll be looking into it some more. Thanks for your very tempting pictures. :)

Debie Spurgeon said...

I have never been there and it looks gorgeous. Your pictures, as always, are beautiful. I agree with your beautiful Northwest comment, there is so much to do and see.

Amy J. said...

My favorite picture is the one where you are looking down on Brady. I'm glad to see you in some of the pictures too, us mom's forget that sometimes. I'm glad you had such a fun trip. Oh...and Jeff's calves...what a view. :)

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Wow, such a cool hike! Makes me want to try it! Good pics as always.

meohmyers said...

To those of you possibly wanting to find this park, in my post the "Silver Falls State Park" is a link. Click on it and it will bring you to their home page where you can get directions, campground information, etc.

It's about an hour or so from Portland. It's about 22 miles east of Salem. It's a beautiful drive, too. I've never seen so many Christmas tree farms in my life! We only hiked to the South Falls but there's 10 waterfalls at this park! We would love to go back and see more of the waterfalls.

Ryan said...

Did you know...I'd be surprised if you didn't.

Action scenes being shot in for "Twilight" in Silver Falls Park. " For the past week, crews have been filming a series of action scenes in the south end of the park—with stunt doubles swinging from a cable and harness through snow-capped fir trees at about 100 feet above the ground." (East Valley News)

Very awesome falls. Our family went there when I was in high school.