January 5, 2007

The Ticker

Do any of you give your vehicles nick names? What we affectionately refer to as "The Ticker" in our family is our '94 Green Ford Escort. I got the car in college, brand new, right off the lot, and have had it ever since. It became Jeff's car the minute we got a mini-van which was replaced by our Suburban 2 years ago. The car will be turning 13 years old this year. We've obviously had to replace everything in it atleast once. We are now to the point where we're having to nickle and dime the thing until it finally dies.

The latest problem is how it got its nick name. As soon as you start it up, it starts "tickatickatickatickaticka" until you turn it off. Not only can you hear it while you drive, but it warns everyone within a 5 mile radius that you are headed their way. It's a little embarrassing because we turn heads wherever we go. Adults, toddlers, dogs, everyone.

I know what you're thinking, why don't we get it fixed? Well, to fix this beloved sound would cost more than what the car is worth. So instead, we get to suffer through the tormenting "tickatickatickatickatickatickaticka" until the car finally dies. But no such luck. We've suffered for 3 years now and keep on suffering. Atleast I'm not the one who always has to drive it. Luckily, I can hear Jeff pull up to our house, hurry and get off the computer where he thinks I spend the majority of my days, and run downstairs and look busy all before he gets in.

Well, our Suburban is also having some car problems right now. When we started it, it had a pleasant rattle to it that in the past couple of weeks turned into an angry rattle. So we had to have it checked. Turns out the whole engine is in need of replacing. Apparently you're not supposed to drive it without any oil. Who knew? So while that's being fixed, our family car is either The Ticker, or The Beater. The Beater is no more reliable than a pile of poop. So yesterday, we squished ourselves in The Ticker, all 6 of us like clowns in a slug bug, and ran our errands. The only one properly buckled in was Maddie because there isn't enough room for 3 carseats in the back seat. We even tried squishing 4 kids in the back seat and that didn't work either. So Brady is in the front seat with me while I can only sit on my side. I'm hoping we won't run into any policemen while we're all squished into our car. What's worse? I see Nicole Zornes, the seatbelt/carseat Nazi!! There was no where to go! No way to hide! She saw us! She's going to let me have it for this one! Not only do we have 3 unproperly restrained children in our vehicle, but we have a minor in the front seat. Is that safe or what?

Well the story is that our engine will be replaced in about a week so if you hear the "tickatickatickatickatickatickaticka" coming your way, please don't stare and please don't tell the proper authorities.

7 comments:

tharker said...

I'm cracking up because I do the exact same thing if I'm on the computer and hear Spencer coming! But come on...do I really think that he believes that all of that huffing and puffing I'm doing(from booking it down the stairs) is actually from "being busy"? It makes for a great laugh!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I really did want to stop you guys and make you give me a kid or two. You are giving me some anxiety knowing that you are going to have to continue doing it for a week!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Nicole. I totally get so crazy when I see kids unbuckled- or not even in their own seat. You better not run any more errands for the week.

Anonymous said...

See, there's more crazy nazi's out there than you think. Linds and I are not alone;) BTW, Lindsay is actually worse than I am!

Alicia Leppert said...

I love the ticker. I love that I know you're coming and I have a few seconds to grab my stuff and say goodbye to Bill. Yeah, we learned the "car needs oil" lesson a few years ago. Apparently not having the oil changed in three years isn't very good for the engine, either.

Anonymous said...

Hey kim, sometimes when it comes to vehicles you have to do what you have to do. Take kims car, it has been dying for years and yet every year here it comes noisily down the road. I can always tell when kim comes home. but because we have no car payment we always pray that it will last just one more year.

meohmyers said...

Gotta love the no car payment! Guess it comes with a different kind of price though.