November 28, 2006

And the Turkey of the Year Award Goes To...



I was afraid to toot my own horn but I can't turn down a request for a blog.

This was my very first turkey made all by myself from start to finish. I was so proud! Isn't it gorgeous?! It took 19 hours to make but boy was it worth it!

Last year, my turkey, with the help of others, set off the smoke alarms in the entire house. Not because we burned the turkey, but because the drippings spilled out of a hole in the disposable roasting pan onto the heating elements which started a fire in the oven. Then the doctor in the house - no offense Tim - decided to throw water on the fire which made the flames 10 times bigger. We ended up throwing an entire box of baking soda on it, put out the flames and enjoyed our "smoked turkey". So I was a little hesitant to cook the turkey again this year. But Stacy and Kelly kindly lent us their roasting pan, to avoid last year's disaster, and I followed the instructions to a T and we had the best turkey ever!! I don't mean to boast but seriously, Martha Stewart would have been fighting to hold back the tears if she saw and tasted my turkey this year. Even the white meat melted in your mouth it was so tender. I am so confident in my turkey roasting abilities now that I insist on cooking it every Thanksgiving! Once you taste it, the holiday should be changed to "Thanks KIM! ing!"

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a great feeling to know you accomplished something and it turned out great! The bird looks beautiful- as does the face next to it.

Stacia said...

Thanks for posting the turkey, and I can attest to the fact that it was delicious and so moist! I have to add that you didn't cook it for 19 hours. We don't want any dry turkeys like on Lampoon's Christmas! :)

tharker said...

Congrat's on the turkey! I've never attempted, it's just too scary to me. So for now I'll stick to the rolls and call it good. I love the expression on your face, there's something so Cameron-ish about it. Love it!!

Anonymous said...

Um, did you seriously just say "Thanks-kim-ing"!?!?!? :)

tharker said...

Oh and one more thing...now you can rest assured that when Cameron tells everyone in his class that his mom makes the best turkey, it really will be "Turkey", not from a can!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, Tiffani- did we just comment in the same minute? How weird is that?

RG

Anonymous said...

STOP IT!!!

meohmyers said...

Yes, I must clarify, the turkey didn't cook for 19 hours. It was brined for 16 which is what made it so moist.

What's wrong with "ThanksKIMing"? :)

tharker said...

So for someone like me who is the worst at cooking any sort of meat...what is brining? If it's that moist I would love to try it out sometime.

Stacia said...

To brine a turkey is to "soak" it in a salt and spice solution. Here is the recipe that Kim used. It looks like a lot of work but it's just a few steps to a perfect turkey. You could also just do a turkey breast and decrease the amounts and cooking time.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_8389,00.html?rsrc=search

Alicia Leppert said...

When I saw your title, Kim, I thought you were saying you were the Turkey of the Year, seriously! I'm thinking, "Oh, no, what did she do this time? Who had to poop in a bag?" I gotta give props to you for having the courage to bake a turkey. It scares me, too, Tiffany. Then again, I"ve never made waffles.

Anonymous said...

So corny! But it really does look like a yummy turkey. WTG!!! Hate to say it, but I am a total Turkey Breast kind of girl. I know that shocks and surprises all of you;)

Anonymous said...

Good Job sweetie!! Am so proud...I have given birth to a chef!! :) Loved the picture...want a better one in your skinny clothes!! Can totally tell you are doing something!! Give me more!! :) Really am so proud of all you try in the kitchen!! Your Great Grandma would have been proud of you too...she was an exceptional cook!!

meohmyers said...

Thanks, Mom.

meohmyers said...

hjk