March 14, 2008

My Eyebrow Fetish

This post is long overdue. I love eyebrows. More specifically, perfect eyebrows. I don't know why. It's one of the first things I notice about people. They come in all shapes and sizes, colors, thicknesses, some are plucked, waxed, overdue for a plucking or waxing, yes I notice all of them.

Eyebrows frame the eyes which to me are the most noticable and beautiful feature on someone's face. Just like finding the perfect frame for a beautiful piece of artwork so it is displayed properly - correctly enhancing the artwork, you need to get your eyebrows right! So here the full range of eyebrow errors will be displayed: from huge, untamed caterpillars to over-plucked bald foreheads. (And I cannot look away. It's like a mangled, burning car on the side of the road. I literally stop and stare at the unperfect eyebrow, especially seeing it live instead of on TV or in a magazine.)



First of all, let me offer the failproof tip to achieving the perfect brow.





There are only 3 lines you need to worry about:



Line A matches up the outside corner of your nose to the inside corner of your eye. That's where your eyebrow should start.



Line B matches up the outside corner of your nose to the pupil. That's where your eyebrow should arch.



Line C matches up the outside corner of your nose to the outside corner of your eye. That's where your eyebrow should end.



So let's see who got it right!


Beautiful! Nicely done.








Ummm... someone needs to inform this guy that his eyebrows should never match the thickness of his moustache. Yuck.





Not bad. I can handle these.





See what I mean? You can't help but stare, right? I know, try to look away.





Pulls you right in, doesn't it? Why didn't she pluck that monobrow?





Thata girl, Anne, you know you have awesome brows, yep, flaunt it!





Nope, not so good.


Remember when the bold, thick, bushy look was in? Elizabeth can definitely pull this off, but...



...sorry, fans of Sienna, this just doesn't do it for me. Apparently she's trying to start this trend again. Thumbs down for me!





Here we go. Good job, Cate and Kate. Lovely brows!



It just isn't right.




Thanks, Brooke. Love them!



Yeah, not so much.



Just lovely, Nicole.



Here's my BIGGEST eyebrow pet peeve in all it's glory!!! Look at these unnatural drawings on her forehead! I see them everywhere and it's like fingernails on a chalk board for me. Sends chills up my spine. Yuck. But I can't help but stare!



And even though you may think your eyebrows were perfect at one point, but looking at them now they aren't, you can always give them a makeover. Thanks, Julia, for proving my point.



I considered displaying my very own before and after pictures of my 90s eyebrows compared to today, but I just couldn't do it. Those of you who remember my 90s eyebrows can attest to the fact that they were pitiful. Not only were they the size of the aforementioned moustache, but they were black, thick, and so unfeminine. But they were waxable at one point in my life and I got them tamed back to the slightly imperfect arches that they are today. A huge improvement, believe me.


Something you may not know about me is that I have a toothbrush whose sole purpose is in the maintenance of my brows. Yep, I brush them in place, fill in any blanks with the brow pencil, then after spraying the toothbrush with hairspray I brush them once more in place to stay. You never know when a wind storm may blow and it also keeps those unruly stray hairs in place for the whole day. It's in my daily make-up routine.


So there it is, my eyebrow fetish. I could say don't worry, next time I see you I won't notice your eyebrows, but I'd be lying. I'm always on the lookout for the perfect pair!



*editor's note: The following supplement to this post is only because of my dear brother's friendly threat. In NO WAY was I going to allow HIM to choose my pitiful 1990s eyebrow picture to show you all, so I am conceding and posting my before and after for the world to see. Please refrain from any snide remarks, I've heard them all before.

30 comments:

Shayla said...

Oh man, Kim, people are going to start avoiding you on their "unplucked" days. :-) Every time this conversation comes up, I start having eyebrow "issues". Thanks for the tips and funny pics. I'll think of you every time I pluck now. :-)

Debie Spurgeon said...

The only part of my eyebrows that I even worry about is the space between the two. I ususally tame that area and figure the rest is good. I'm going to now go and do a thorough check in the mirror, along with your detailed instructions to see if any work is needed. I enjoyed the pictures!!

Chris said...

Please post your before and after pictures. If you don't, I might have to dig some up and direct people to my blog.

meohmyers said...

Okay, okay, Chris. Please don't post my horrible pictures on your blog!!! I'll do it, I promise!

mommadee17 said...

Just seeing if this works.

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

What a great post!!! I love all the pictures...
Okay so for me this was just the incentive I needed (hopefully) to stay up on my eyebrow maintenance.(if not, at least you'll know why I'm avoiding you) Knowing there is someone who cares so deeply about the condition of my brows makes me want to do better, pluck more often and buy my very own toothbrush just for the little guys. Thanks for the tips. I had no idea so much went into the shape of my little gals :)

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

OKAY, so it just came to my attention I have multi-gender brows :D

Brynn said...

Your are soooo funny. Wow I learned so much from this post. Great, I need to help my eye brows. Yours are awesome, and dang look at those eyes. I need some serious lessons from you on my eye-brows. Do you pluck your self? Or wax? Thanks Kim!!

Leslie Garbanati said...

Holy cow....I have never been an eyebrow freak, but now I am panicking....when will I see Kim? Will my eyeborows be okay...ARGHHH! Oh, question...is that a Ricks College photo and a Katy B. with you? FLASHBACK!!

hatch said...

OK Kim I am reading this thinking I sure hope that when I have seen you it has been on a good eye brow days.
I am an avid waxer. When I got married my hairdresser did them for me and once I had it done I can never go back to those unkept eyebrow days.
I notice eyebrows too. You are so funny!

susie said...

That might be the longest post ever about eyebrows! lol. Thanks for making me self conscious about my serious lack of eyebrows! I have to color them in each day or I feel 'naked'. And, they are no where near the perfection that you have achieved.

Note to self...next visit from Kim...no time for chatting, just have Kim 'design & pluck' my eyebrows! (Design & Pluck...sounds like a great name for a little side business)

meohmyers said...

I don't want you all to duck and cover if you see me coming!!! I can't help but notice eyebrows! Don't know why.

Brynn - I'm a plucker. My eyebrows have since grown in waxproof since that first waxing. Doesn't work on mine anymore. I don't mind tweezing though since I grab the hairs that seem to grow overnight.

Les - YES! That's an old Rick's College photo. You are one of many who can attest to my pitiful brows since seeing them in person!!!

Susie - You're so funny! I have to pluck my sister's everytime I go to Utah, I could probably squeeze you in, too! :)

Nicole said...

I had no idea you were so obsessed! I haven't had a good wax in years, but I try to keep them looking good with plucking. Hopefully they meet the standards;)

tharker said...

One of the first conversations that you and I had at the park during swim lessons many moons ago was about eyebrows. Man, you're 90's eyebrow picture looks so much like mine, it's scary!

Your eyebrows (now) are quite lovely! Thanks for the step by step pics of good eyebrow how-to. I needed that. My brow pet peeve is also the pencil brow. It's NO good! My eyebrows are not great, but still they are SO much better than what they once were.

This post was awesome Kim!

Ryan said...

Funny post. From a guys perspective brows that are taken care of are nice. Mine probably need attention, though I'm not sporting a mono-brow, so that's at least a start. My wife goes to a nice spa place. The girl who does hers keeps trying to get me to come in and have mine done. Maybe I should take that as a 'hint'. She uses this thread technique that is pretty wild to watch have done.

Well I better go check on the kids playing in the bathroom. (Guys can't just go to the bathroom to check on the brows. Gotta have an excuse.)

Alicia Leppert said...

Sooo much to say in response to this post. First off, you are hilarious. Your eyebrow fetish cracks me up. I seriously had no idea how bad it was til reading this post. I never look at people's eyebrows! I'm just grateful I was blessed with good brows so we can be friends. I LOVED your pictures. HILARIOUS! I'm so curious what you think of my bro. Ryan's eyebrows. And your "before" picture...WOW. You looked like a Muppet! Oh sorry, you said no comments.

meohmyers said...

Ryan - that was pretty funny. Just to clarify though, I don't believe men should wax their eyebrows to look like women's eyebrows, but like you said, no monobrow is a good start!

Alicia - come on now. Muppet? That's one I have never heard. I took care of it ... eventually. I had my eyebrows waxed for the first time in 1995!! Yikes!

Ms. Kristen said...

Do you pluck your husbands eyebrows?
I love the before and after shot of your eyebrows! Thanks for the lesson! I bought some new tweezers for a good shot at it!

::lindsay said...

Unplucked I have the biggest bushy bear eyebrows you've ever seen. I try to keep them plucked but I'm always kinda lazy about it. It is usually inevitable that I have to get them waxed after awhile so someone can reshape mine for me.

Sarah said...

I've been plucking my eyebrows since junior high and I made the mistake of making them too thin. Eventually they grew in and looked a lot better, now I tend to like eyebrows on the slightly fuller than thin side. I have to give mine a good plucking at least once a week. This post was quite entertaining.

Kate said...

ohhh, I am so lazy when it comes to this. I usually end up going in to get them waxed because I hate plucking! Great step by step and dos and donts....loved it :)

Lisa Christine said...

When I was in 7th grade, I was made fun of by other kids in my science class because I had what they referred to as "Burt and Ernie Brows" I had not put much thought into my eyebrows at the time (of course, at the time I also had a mullet, and my favorite T-shirt had Bart and Homer Simpson on it. Man middle school sucked.) I went home and was about to take the razor to my brows when my mum showed me the wonders of plucking.

Now, every night before I go to bed, I look in the mirror to find any stray hairs that need tending to. Sometimes I might go a little overboard and Lisa tells me to cut back....but at least I can say I have two eyebrows now, and that they are better looking brows than what I see on other dudes.

But I must say, your obsession of brows takes the cake. Next time we run into you guys at Chicos, I will remember to pull my hat down low.

~Donald (Lisa's Husband)

Heather said...

Yeah, mine are in a sad state...

meohmyers said...

Kristen - luckily Jeff's brows never need plucking. He has 2 eyebrows naturally, but believe me, if he sported around a monobrow, yes I'd be plucking his eyebrows.

Donald - your comment cracked me up! Especially because I was reading it like it had been written by Lisa up until the point where you said "Lisa tells me to cut back". That was funny. Thanks for commenting, and I'm positive if you take care of that monobrow like you say you do, you have no need to wear the hat low next time at Chico's!!

Lisa Christine said...

We are here laughing because as I was reading my husbands comment I said, "Donald, she probably thought it was me till the end". And then I read your response to his comment and yup, I was right.

Now about my eyebrows. I am pleased to say that I have always loved mine. I rarely (if ever) pluck them. I think they do a pretty good job on their own. But seeing as you are hereby named, "eyebrow guru", I would love to know what you think. So take a peak at my pic on my blog and tell me if there is anything I can do to improve :)
I loved this post...thanks!

meohmyers said...

Lisa - that was so funny. I was thinking, "oh, monobrow and a mullet? Poor girl." Glad to hear it was Donald, not you! :)

I looked at your eyebrows and they get my approval! They look great! Consider yourself extremely lucky to be among the few that possess low maintenance brows!!

Terilyn said...

OK, you had me at Kristen's Exploding Boxes Party! I had them waxed today and can I just say (or scream) OUCH! But I think they will pass. Make sure I see you again before the 6 week mark for my next wax!

Kim said...

This was such a fun post!!! I had a thick unibrow until 10th grade. Funny thing, I just waxed my eyebrows this morning. I wax, tweeze, and trim them on my own and I was happy to see that I'm doing it right. Your kids are adorable in the Easter clothes.

Lee said...

Just coming in on this and I couldn't agree more. So I hope mine are okay. LOL! but I always think eyebrows should be groomed, drives me batty. And I stare even more at the over plucked pencil thin ones.

behka said...

Its a good thing you don't see me every day, I would have a complex! I have no brows, partly because they are naturally very light blond, and partly because they are plain thin. But thanks for the tips, I'll work on it. You are hillarious!