I really do love teaching preschool. It is going great. We've come up with some great themes and the kids are taking home some fantastic craft projects. I love the schedule - being done at 11:30 every morning is awesome. I think the kids really enjoy coming and they're adapting really well to the schedule and the classroom rules. I love it! What thrills me the most is when parents tell me that their child comes home singing the songs from preschool, telling their families about things they've learned in school and especially that they are able to do things now that they couldn't do before school started like write their name or say the letters in their name! They're learning! And I just love it! It makes me so so so happy. Makes me also realize the stumbling blocks we encountered to get this preschool going is worth it! It really is the perfect job for the stay-at-home mom.
I only have one complaint.
Just one pet peeve.
It seriously makes the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up when I see it.
Want to know what it is?
Children's green snotty noses!! UGGGGHHHHHHH!!! It is the most disgusting thing to me!!!! I can't stand seeing it on my own child but having to wipe someone else's yucky snotty nose - green nonetheless - who is not my own flesh and blood?!?! OH, GAG ME!!! I would rather thoroughly lick the insides of Jeff's running shoes after he ran a marathon than have to wipe an unrelated child's green snotty nose. YUCK!! All the time having to wipe it with a smile. Oh, if these sweet little kids only knew how much it disgusts me!!! I have to admit though, there's been times when I make the child wipe their own nose, I just can't bring myself to get near it. It's GREEN for crying out loud!
Does that make me a bad teacher?
19 comments:
I feel your pain. I hate seeing those green caterpillars sliding towards the mouth.... yuck-o!!
I can think of one thing worse than that to have to do to other people's kids...change their poopy diapers. At least you don't have to do that! But I agree, I seriously start to gag when I have to wipe other kids' green noses.
I think that 3 year olds are plenty old enough to start wiping their own noses. Tell them to do it! Or better yet, tell their parents to please not send them with their nastyfied noses!
Have to agree on that one Kim! I would rather change 10+ poopy diapers than wipe a green snotty nose. And I do literally gag sometimes.
So not fun! I agree with Tiffani, why even send them with noses like that? So gross, and no that does not make you a bad teacher!!!
I do have to add, just wait until you have to clean up someone else's kids puke! It happened to me twice the first year I taught pre-school! It makes green snot look like a walk in the park!
It unfortunately comes with the job!! I agree that green snot should not even be sent to school!! One green snot leads to everyone getting green snot!!Don't you have guidlines about that in your policy and procedures? If not, change it for next year!! :) But, Jessica is right...wait for the puke!! It is 10 times worse!!
Oh Kim, the joys of cold season. Hang in there, and have lots of disinfectant near by.
I know what you mean. I have to agree with puke being worse though. I had a kid gorge himself at a Valentine's party, and then he decorated the whole sink area with orange soda and cupcake chunks. The smell would not go away. Luckily there's a janitor in the public schools.
That is gross. I wouldn't like to do it either, and that doesn't make you a bad teacher, just human.
Green snot is pretty disgusting, but I would have to say I encounter much worse at my work sometimes. Last week I was on call,got called in for a heart attack patient and got chunks of what looked like ground up hotdogs,smelled kinda like it too, spewed all over the floor. Luckily I was scrubbed in and the nurse in the room had to clean it up , but I did have to smell it for about an hour as we did the procedure. Not to mention the "code browns" that I have to clean up sometimes. Wiping a child's bum is one thing but wiping a grown man's is another. By the way, my running shoes aren't that bad, are they?
That is nasty! I hope that it gets better throughout the year!!
Awesome comment Jeff!
Your post gave me some nursery leader flash backs - "wiping with a smile." You could start slipping a little cold medicine in their snacks. :-)
Jeff - that's why you get paid the big bucks! I wipe up plenty of code browns all day long and don't get a dime! ;)
Carolyn - that's a great idea! Love it!
Oh, and Mom, it is stated in my policies and procedures that runny noses and a slight cough are acceptable but I need to clarify that the runny nose needs to be clear I guess!!
Eww! Green snot is so disgusting. I agree, if they have green snot, they shouldn't be coming. Then everyone will get sick.
Isn't it true that the kid is actually most contagious when the snot is clear? Where did I hear that? And is it true or am I just delirous?
Really?! I've never heard that before, Tiffani! I'll have to look that up - or better yet, Julie, does Tim have any input on this? Are kids most contagious when the snot is clear?
I heard once in my college years that green snot means your really sick, yellow snot means you're getting better, and clear snot means the cold is almost gone. You have my sympathies!
Post a Comment