September 5, 2007

Extra! Extra!

Is this not the coolest thing, or what?

I got home yesterday to find a message on my answering machine. It was from a woman in Kennewick who said they just got back from a week's stay in Federal Way where her daughter was having surgery. She and her husband were staying at a hotel and this newspaper was complimentary. Her husband saw the caption to this picture and noticed the kids were from Pasco! They thought, "Wow! What a coincedence!" So she saved this paper in the attempt to try and track us down when she got home to give us the copy! She called the first Myers family from Pasco she came to in the phone book, left the message not knowing if we were the right family or not, but I called her back before she called any other Myers' and arranged to have her bring us the paper! She didn't want to mail it because she didn't want to get any creases in it. I thought it was so great of her to track us down. She could easily have thrown the paper away but she didn't know if we would ever have known if it was in the paper. How thoughtful! We never did know if their picture was published in the paper but now we know! So she grabbed another copy and gave us two. Isn't that the greatest? So here's their picture in the paper...again...


I love that Ally accidentally has her pennant upside down! Atleast this Mariner's picture is TONS better than this other one. This next one was the first time their picture was in the paper. This was taken right before we moved into our new house 4 years ago. This seriously cracks me up. This is why:

  • notice the headline to the picture "Finding a home of their own". Not only does it sound like we were homeless and mooching off other family members but it makes us sound like we were seriously living in a van down by the river! It's a horrible headline! That headline just ruined everything.
  • next, notice Brady the amputee. He was reacting to what I had just told him, that his Gram and cousins were coming to see us in 4 more days. He was caught mid-jump in the picture, but the headline makes it look like he is so thrilled to finally be in a real home instead of the van down by the river.
  • finally, notice Cameron's pose. I know it's common for most 2 and 3 year olds (or most males for that matter) to have their hands permanently fixed to their manliness but come on! Published in the newspaper? Yeah. That's my boy, the crotch-grabber, for the whole greater Tri-City area to see on the front page.

So here we are in all of our white trash glory. Awesome. What's crazy about the kids being in the newspaper a couple of times is that they think it's normal. They don't think it's that unusual. They think it's cool but they're not that surprised about it. Funny kids.

12 comments:

Heather said...

So funny! How cool that they are in the paper, I'm jealous.

Kris said...

That is so exciting that they are in the paper! What a great picture of your kids and a fun memory for your family!

Sarah said...

Kim, you are hilarious. I laughed out loud at you description of the first time they were in the paper. The Mariner's picture is pretty awesome. What are the chances of that right? What an amazing lady to track you down too. There are good people still out there.

Sarah said...

I meant YOUR description, not you. Hello, maybe I'm the one that should be living in a van down by the river.

tharker said...

What an awesome picture of the kids at the game! Brady looks like the perfect fan!!!

I can't believe how tiny your kids look in the old paper. Ally is TINY!!! That caption was truly a classic!

Marilyn said...

Kim, that Mariners picture is awesome. And that lady is awesome. That really proves that there are great people who care for others. Thanks for sharing.

Jessica said...

I totally remember that 1st story in the tri-city herald! I was so sad for you living in your van, with 3 kids! Too funny, ahh the TCH gotta love those reporters!

dandee said...

I'm sure this is just the beginning of headlines for your children. Good headlines, of course.

susie said...

Oh, Kim! You're so funny! I loved all the stuff about the second photo...and glad you're finally 2 houses since the Van by the River!

Nicole said...

That is so awesome that it was actually printed! What a nice lady!

Alicia Leppert said...

I laughed so hard at your van down by the river comment, and Brady the amputee jumping for joy at your real home, without wheels. I can just see a quote in that article from you saying "and now we can afford to buy our son a prosthetic limb..." I totally remember when that paper came out. So funny. The Mariners one is awesome, they will love that when they get older!

Leslie Garbanati said...

Kim..you are so funny! I forgot how much I love your sense of humor! Your kids are amazing and so are you. Can you believe it has been 15 years since we met?