Brady and Cameron have been playing basketball again this season and are on the same team with their Dad as their coach! All was well until last Saturday when disaster struck. Cameron passed the ball to Brady during their game when Brady went running after it full force to keep it from going out of bounds. He reached the ball, but kept running into the cinder block wall. Now, I couldn't attend the game so I wasn't there, but I've heard about the scream that came out of his mouth that silenced the entire gymnasium. He was in so much pain! His left elbow was injured and no one realized at the time what a horrible break just took place. He was given ice and sat out the rest of the game. No swelling was immediately apparent so the boys came home. Jeff then took Ally to her basketball game when I was told to come home from my DI obligation (whole other blog post...maybe next time...) to check on Brady's arm.

Showing the broken arm
When I got home and noticed the kiwi sized knot on the inside of his elbow, I knew he broke it. We raced to urgent care for some x-rays but were sent home with a referral to an orthopaedist for the following week. And a sling. And ibuprofen. The dr. told us he had all the tell tale signs of a fracture but couldn't locate the fracture! Brady had a HORR.I.BLE weekend. He was in so much pain. So first thing Monday morning I called the ortho and was squeezed in for that afternoon. I thought for sure they would cast it, maybe prescribe a stronger pain medication and send us on our way. After 6 more x-rays, and 2 exhausting hours in the office, it was confirmed that not only did Brady break the bone completely off, but that it would not correct itself and required surgery to fix it. WHAT?! He was to check in for surgery at 6am the following morning, pushing back all the other surgeries scheduled for this morning. It was that bad! Crazy!
Here's the broken chunk of bone lying in part of his forearm.
After many tears, lots of anxiety, a thousand prayers, a sleepless night, and a couple of panic attacks, (may or may not be from me, just sayin'...) the surgery was a success and his bone is back in place being held there with 2 pins. He will remain in this huge cast for 3 weeks after which the pins will be removed and a smaller cast will take it's place for 3-4 additional weeks.
Pre-op. Just a little nervous. ;)
2 pins successfully holding broken bone back in place.
Coming out of sedation.
Trying to force a smile.Brady loves basketball. He is dedicated to improving himself each practice and game and being done for the season is devastating to him. His extracurricular activities will have to be put on hold for the next 2-3 months while this horrible injury heals. No basketball, no violin, no PE, etc. He's crossing his fingers (on his good arm) that he'll be well enough to compete on the swim team this summer. In the meantime, it looks like he is going to master some video games one-handed!
14 comments:
dude, that's terrible. why did they need to do sooo many xrays??? seems like a pretty big break to miss. i bet he can still play lego rockband...just sayin' ;)
Poor kid! And poor Mom! I hate when anything dr. related happens. That cast is huge! Casts on children, no matter what age they are, are no fun. And surgeries, no matter how major or minor are terribly on a mom's nerves! Hope his recovery goes well!
Yikes! Here's to great pain meds!
Poor, poor Brady. I've been thinking about you guys today. Glad to hear everything went well with the surgery. He sounds like the kind of person that puts his whole heart, soul and BODY into everything he does. It's so nice to see a blog post from you! LOVE your header.
Tyler told me about Brady's arm having surgery. I guess Cameron said something at school. I told him I already knew, and he asked how. All I had to say was Facebook!:) Hope the recovery goes well. You are one tough mom Kim! With all that you've been through with this kid. You have my sympathy!
The kids came home telling me all about Brady's broken arm, The poor kid, what a terrible thing to have happen.
OMGsh!!!!!!!! Poor Brave Brady! And Mom! I hope it heals quickly and doesn't cause him anymore pain. Ugh! I hate it when kids get hurt! I'm glad you blogged about it though. Now I can show Davis pictures. :)
That's horrible! At least he has a good story to tell about how he broke it. Ahhh, the glory of sports.
Wow! I would have been freaking out! If you need help with anything, please don't be afraid to ask. I hope Brady is feeling better! Oh, and I LOVE your header!
Poor guy, I hope he gets back on his feet soon. Did Ally have a good birthday? Let me know if you need help with anything, I would love to help in preschool sometime.
Oh, seeing him there in the hospital bed makes me so anxious for him! And in pain. But the black cast is uber-cool. I told him that's totally what I would have picked if I needed one.
What a great story to blog. Now if people in your family can just keep breaking bones, maybe you'll keep blogging! (J/K)
Poor Brady! Ryan said that Brady seemed to be in TONS of pain after the incident.
What a lucky boy he is to have such a great mom to help nurse him back to health! :)
So sorry kim! And Brady! Nothing is worse than watching your kid be prepped for surgery. so glad he's on the mend and doing better.
So what I want to know is the same thing I wondered when I saw John's X-Ray of pins in his finger...how does the bone heal and connect itself and not attach to the pins?! I wouldn't think they would pull out very easily. Buy then what do I know.
I am so sorry that you guys had to wait to get everything in place. That is the worst...those days before anything gets done.
Post a Comment