February 25, 2010

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Remember the 80s? What was your favorite fashion trend? Too many to list, right? Well, what better way to bring it all back and celebrate an 8th birthday than with an

80s Party!

Ally, my sweet baby girl, just turned 8 years old last week on the 16th and at the last minute of an already hectic week (see previous post) we decided to invite some of her friends over for a birthday party. I have to admit, I work well under pressure. We were able to get the invites out, balloons ordered, decorations purchased, games made, craft project decided, house cleaned, house decorated, cupcakes baked, 80s outfit picked out, dressed, dolled up, and ready for the best bash of the year in only 1 day. That's got to be a record somewhere.

The girls all came in their best 80s outfits and they were so cute! I was reminiscing and wondering why in the world we thought we were so cool dressed the way we did. Some girls were wondering the same things saying, " Why am I wearing 2 pairs of socks?" "Why did you wear everything crooked? Crooked side ponies, crooked shirts, ..." "Why are you tying a knot in my shirt?" It was so funny to listen to all the comments! Here are a few of the outfits they showed up in.


Adorable, right? :)

We started out with a dance party and the dancing queen herself was feeling right at home. Well, she was at home, but she was trying to get everyone to come out and dance with her. We had some awesome dance music playing and some girls really let loose!

Notice Maddie snuck into the party. She wasn't supposed to but when she came downstairs with her blue eyeshadow on, we had to let her party, too. :)

Then we played "Pin the Side Pony on Ally". I have to give my sister credit for the totally awesome idea, but that I actually got the picture taken, edited, and the poster printed and at the party in time was all me. :)



Then we (me and my great friend Alicia - who so thoughtfully offered to stay and help) taught the girls how to make friendship pins. Remember those? I remember putting those on my shoelaces and loving to make them for my friends! So the girls loved making them and we had to show them where to put them on their laces. Maybe we started that trend again? :)


We also let the girls graffiti on the sliding glass door, writing notes and birthday messages to Ally.

Here's their finished product! They loved it, and Ally insisted we keep it up all weekend long.

Then of course there's the cake. Why make it myself when I have a roomful of capable little girls wanting to make it, too? So we had cupcakes, frosting, neon sprinkles, colored sugar, and let the girls have at it, decorating their own little cakes.



Birthday girl with all 8 candles on her little cupcake.

So there you have it. A perfect party for a great age. It turned out to be one of my favorite birthday parties for my kids, hence all the pictures in this post. I couldn't leave anything out! We had so much fun putting it together and we think every 8 year old girl should have their own 80s Party!

On a more serious note, turning 8 is a very special occasion in our church. It's the age where our children can choose to be baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Ally is so excited for her baptism next weekend. She has been looking forward to this day since her oldest brother was baptized 3 years ago. Finally, her time has come and she couldn't be happier. Ally is such a beautiful girl inside and out. She is a delight to our family, bringing us so much joy. She is thoughtful, sensitive, smart, soft-spoken, spunky, animated, sweet, and is growing up to be quite a remarkable young girl.



Happy 8th Birthday, Ally!

12 comments:

dandee said...

Abby had so much fun at the party! She really love the friendship pins + had a great time playing "pin the side pony" (your sister's a genius!)

Happy Birthday Ally + congratulations on your upcoming baptism! You're a darling little girl with a great big heart.

And Kim, those pictures! Great job!

MichelleB said...

Beautiful girl!!! Love the party idea.

Rachael said...

I want to be invited to the party! That looks so radical! You must be part energizer bunny! And the pin-the-side pony game! You should market that!

chris jenkins said...

that is an awesome party idea! thanks for sharing all the fun :)

::lindsay said...

Okay, that's the best party ever. I agree with Rachael, I want to be invited to the party too!

Ally is a terrific girl. I am so glad she had such a special birthday.

tharker said...

For the love of all things 80's...best party ever! I'm so impressed that you pulled off EVERYTHING all in one day. You amaze me!

I totally forgot about friendship pins. Hannah has about a zillion beads, I should show her this. She would love making them for her friends. Maybe you did start the trend over again!

I really can't believe she is already 8 years old. Happy Birthday Ally!

P.S.
Beautiful pictures!

Shelly said...

You are so amazing to pull together such a fun party in one day. Kailey is so bummed that she missed out. I forgot about friendship pins, too fun. I am glad Ally had such a fun birthday she is such a sweetie.

Jodi said...

Looks like a totally tubular party Kim! Like for sure, totally invite me next time. I wouldn't mind the friendship pins coming back, but some of those 80s styles...gag me with a spoon!! :) Those pictures of Ally are gorgeous! I love the daisies too - my favorite flower!!

Shayla said...

We happened to be driving past your house as guests were arriving on Saturday and I just knew it had to be an 80's party going on when I glimpsed the girls outfits. What a fun idea! I love the pin the side pony tail game, hilarious. So glad you blogged about it so we could see all the fun pics!

Alicia Leppert said...

It seriously was the coolest party ever. You always knock the ball out of the park when it comes to kid birthday parties. No one can compete. The girls all had such a blast, and me too (that's secretly why I stayed, I didn't want to miss out on all the fun). And I have to say how much I adore Ally. She is the sweetest, funniest girl and always puts the biggest smile on my face. Seeing her rocking out at her own dance party and trying to get the other girls to join her was just...so Ally!!

Amy J. said...

Did anyone wear leg warmers? That looks like a hit of a party! Fun ideas and I too loved the game! Great job.

Katy said...

Could you be more wonderful? I wish I were your next door neighbor. Hope you have a great Easter weekend!