Ally has been dreading, no, positively Da - REDDING!!!! this day for years now. Years! She was absolutely terrified at the thought but knew it was inevitable. The day would eventually come. And it finally did.
She lost her first tooth.
Now, before you think, "What? That's it?", you need to understand Ally. She has 2 older brothers and has watched them grow, fight, wrestle, bleed, lose teeth, bleed, fall off of suburbans, bleed, lose more teeth, get stitches, bleed, concussions, ER visits, bleed, and here Ally goes about her business keeping down the Barbie fort and the princess clothes. She hates being injured. It freaks her out. So the build-up of actually having to endure the pain and blood of losing teeth was just too much for her to handle. Luckily for her, her first tooth didn't make it's appearance known until a few days before her first birthday so we knew she would lose them later, too. But, to have to wait till just 10 days before her 7th birthday to lose her first tooth? Yeah, we told her how lucky she was.
But, that was also the problem, too. She was older and terrified! When she noticed the first sign of a wiggly tooth, she panicked. She wouldn't let us come near her with a 10 foot pole. She had seen the trauma of trying to get the boys' teeth out of their mouths and she was going to have nothing to do with it. We didn't bother her with it. That is until her cousin yanked a book light out of her closed mouth - (I don't know why she was playing with a booklight in her mouth either) - and it just about ripped that loose tooth from it's socket! Oh the tears, the thought of losing that tooth. So we didn't bother her with it again. We thought, we'll just let this thing do what it will. That is until the fuzz that was accumulating on this loose tooth was so noticable because of Ally's fear to brush it! She couldn't bite down, it was in the way. She wouldn't bite into her food because the tooth was too loose. She would hardly get near it with her own toothbrush or tongue. I told her it was time.
I'll fast forward here and spare you details of the HOURS of tears, pinkie promises, bribes and convincing it took to let me get a tiny square of tissue in her mouth -with my fingers- to feel this thing. We made deals, agreed on hand gestures for communication - nothing offensive - and she let me "wiggle" it. No yanking was allowed. I do have to bring this part up though. I was trying to compare losing a tooth to her Kindergarten shots, that the thought is worse than the actual thing, it will only hurt for a second and then the pain is gone and you forget about it. She - through her tears - reminded me that the nurse who gave her her Kindergarten shots told her she would only have to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star one time and the shots would be done but that she had to sing it 4 times before the shots were finished! Okay, bad comparison.
So, "wiggle" was all I did and when she threw her hand up in the air motioning for me to stop. She was trying to be so brave and said she just needed a little break but that I could try again in a couple of seconds. I said, "Look in the mirror." "Why?" "Just look." Cue the full on siren crying! She had no idea the tooth had been pulled but the sight of the blood freaked her out! Through her panicked cry, I saw a slight grin and she was so happy it was out. It was the easiest tooth I had ever pulled and it literally fell into my hands so why in the world did it have to bleed so much? Take a look at the root on this sucker! Holy cow! I've never seen that size of root on a baby tooth! Crazy. She's got great teeth I guess. So finally we got her calmed down and moved over from the fear side to the excited side. It was really funny.
I promise, this tooth was ready to come out! Crazy root!
We were trying to take pics to document this historic event of our near 7 year old.
Hang on, Ally, don't look so scared. Yes, it's still bleeding. Try to smile!

Yes, that's better, great smile, but... it's still bleeding.
Here, bite down on this washcloth and try to get it to stop bleeding. We need to get a good "non-bleeding" picture!

Is it STILL bleeding?
FINALLY! Sheesh! Great! Now, flash that new smile, Ally!
Getting ready for the tooth fairy. She insisted on putting it in a baggie under her pillow so the tooth fairy could find it. Apparently, the tooth fairy had a hard time finding her brother's tooth one year. One last look, and g'night. Sweet dreams, Ally.

Score! WOW, the tooth fairy believes in inflation, too! I only got a quarter! So, her best friend told her yesterday that if she turns in a really shiny, clean, perfect tooth next time, that she'll get $5! I told her, there's more than one tooth fairy on duty each night and apparently we got the cheap one. :)
Her whispered words in my ear the following morning went something like this. "I think I've got the hang of this tooth losing business." That's my brave girl, 'cause you have 19 more to go!
20 comments:
The trauma of that first tooth. You told this story so well Kim!
I love all the pictures. What a sweet girl!
Oh.My.Goodness. Her poor, little, red, teary eyes. I so feel for her and her anxiousness! What great pictures and a great story, she'll love that someday!!
Congratulations, Ally!
Nothing makes me cringe more than the thought of tugging at a loose tooth with a dry tissue. I don't know what it is, but it's worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. Nice job Ally!
This is seriously my 2 posts of this week! How funny. We've had 1st tooth losing drama here the last couple days, too!
I love your storytelling abilities! I laughed (because of funny things and sad) of the trauma and drama surrounding the tooth! I also loved the way you told the story of Maddie starting to wear pull-ups, it was so cute!
That is hilarious. She is lucky it took so long. My kids are seven and Jordan has lost six teeth and Ashley has lost four. Love all the pictures of Ally after her tooth is out. She looks so sad...but cute. Hopefully it goes better next time.
Her poor red eyes. I can just see the trauma! Kids are so funny. Bailie the min she feels a loose tooth, she yanks it right out. (money) Brennan is the same a Ally. Wont let us near him! Congratulations Ally!
This sounds like Sydnee. How exciting that she lost her first tooth. This was a great post Kim!
Please keep your $2 and $5 tooth stories away from Chandler and Katii. Our tooth fairy is cheap and can only afford to leave $1 per tooth. Katii has lost 2 TEETH!! this week alone and is wiggling on the 3rd. BTW, Katii is also dramatic about loose teeth.
Poor Ally! I was terrified to loose my first tooth too! So it's been that many weeks since the "booklight" incident and she never lost it?
Congratulations ALLY!!!
Great Story. Our kids are all over the map...Rachel started losing teeth at 4 and now by 10 she's already lost all her teeth covering her 12 year old molars. Luckily Trent didn't start until well after his 7th birthday.
But I haven't had to endure the lingering tooth yet. Maybe I have greedy kids, but the second a tooth seems loose they start yankin' on it until it comes out. They pull their own teeth. Sometimes I swear it is too soon. In fact, currently the tooth fairy has some catching up to do. She owes Trent $1 and Rachel $2. I swear there's no way the still have teeth left as it seems we pay out every week or so.
You've inspired me to tell my tooth story, so I'll add it to my blog and post a link back here.
Don't you hate it when your kids hear from other kids at school that they get $10 for each tooth or a new Webkinz or something crazy like that?! So unfair to the rest of us tooth fairies with smaller budgets. :-)
Oh, the red puffy face pictures are priceless! That story is even better the second time, too!! And how did you do the John Madden thing on your root picture? You're a techno whiz!
Poor Ally...her sad red puffy eyes - and all that BLOOD! I hated losing my teeth too. I even still have nightmares about it. Btw, our tooth fairy's even cheaper than yours. ;)
Poor girl. Love that you documented every step in the process. I can't believe she is just now loosing her 1st tooth - that's crazy!
I love Ally. She is the cutest girl ever. Love the picture at the end where she's so excited about her money!
I know I am like, a year late commenting, but I had to. I love how you told this (I totally laughed envisioning Ally giving you obscene gestures to signal a time out). But seriously, 5$ for a stinking tooth? Leave it to a dentist's daughter to get $5 for a clean tooth. Way to go Ally!
two bucks?!!! i'd pull out a tooth for two bucks...sheesh. i absolutely love that first picture of her. soooo cute.
Alexandra is dying to lose a tooth! She is just about the only one in her class that hasn't!
Those pictures are priceless!
Post a Comment